help with dyno algae bloom

How old is the tank? Parameters? Light type and schedule? Most likely you can reduce the light schedule and it will go away

2 months old acquired some live rock I think is the culprit. All parameters
0 ppm . 8.2 ph, alk was low at 3.5-9.8. Mag is 1320. Calcium 480
Led light 10 hrs a day

Try Seachems Cuprisorb. From what I've read it doesn't work in all cases but it got rid of my dino problem in a little over a week. My tank was covered with dinos after the crash in May. I read about the Cuprisorb on some forums and gave it a try. It was all over in a few days. It was very sudden and complete. I'm guessing, but I think the key to success is making sure you get good flow through the bag. It's hard to do because the resin is so small and the bag clogs easily. You have to buy the bag separately. No one knows why it works, but it's guessed that the Cuprisorb removes a trace metal that the dinos need. It might be worth a try and if it works let everyone know.

The very first line of that article says they are photosynthetic . try cutting back your lighting by 2 hours a day , and I didn't even know about the stuff reefkeeper posted . can't hurt .

it does live off light but that is not it's only food.

Create a bad environment for it. Higher PH, no nutrients and starve it out with lack of light. Even water changes feed the stuff. I raise the PH with a kalkwater drip, stop water change I pull all carbon and GFO and other filter media off line and then reduce light schedule. Once I see the slightest reduction it is lights out 4-5days. Then reduced schedule. if nothing shows back up after two weeks I slowly rampy up the slighting schedule. if it shows a few more days of lights out. then reduced repeat

MoeK called it when he dubbed it the scourge of death. If you get it early it is far easier if it get a strong hold in your tank as it can push you to the brink of quitting.

Last edited:
I had a Dino out break a few years ago after a system crash during a winter storm. I tried the lights out method and the elevated PH even dosed hydrogen peroxide. In the end I replaced all the sand and fresh water dipped all my rock and frags which did the trick for me. Some people have better luck with the other methods but I just couldn't get them to work for me.

I think I had such a hard time with the battle because I was treating it as cyano. It took me several months to finally realize it was not cyano and by that time it was out of control. Best thing is that it is diagnosed early and treated long before they have time to completely take over

Good luck!

I had dinos about 1 1/2 year ago. No clue how they came about, just that it is a nightmare. Battled if for a good 4 months trying everything. Black out on several occasions, H2o2 dosing, mag, ph, water changes, no water changes, lost corals from the dosing or the dinos. Nearly took it all down and on a whim took out a UV sterilizer I had bought years ago and never used. Put the UV on for about 3 weeks and never saw the dinos again

I guess there are many, many types of dinos and not all respond to the same treatment

When Dino's digs into a tank it is very different than catching it right away. And the things you do take time to reverse the hold it has. But I know Dino's too well you have to starve it out slowly and far too often people treat it like they do with nutrient based algae/bacteria and that just makes its hold stronger. It will push even the most experienced reefers to the brink of quitting. And it may take weeks to even a month or so to reverse its hold. So while the UV may have killed some most likely everything else you did on the whole was the real solution. Most do lights out for a few day and without the prep of reduced light periods, raising PH and removing carbon, GFO, and water changes, so the result are often not as effective. Lights out is what you do once it is on the run and it is 4-5days.

In the end Dino is 100% committed to living, so you have to 110% committed to ending its life.

I did catch early. I hand scrubbed all rock and contents of tank.
Increased skimming. And lights out since Thursday. No signs this
morning but just turned lights back on. Maybe I'll get lucky for
once. Keep you posted.

I had a very small patch of it and dosing hydrogen peroxide for a week with a two day blackout took care of it.

I had a bad dino outbreak when a new pump blew out all the dirty sand. I had it for 2-3 weeks and it killed a couple of my fish and inverts.

I ended up adding some purigen (available on amazon) and changing water relatively frequently and that took care of it.

Back