Help with flees and reef tank

jfourn83

Non-member
Obviously my front line wore off and my dog has flees.... So annoying.... If I set off a bomb will that have a negative affect on the tank??? Any advice

Yea it will affect it greatly. The tank needs to be sealed off with tape and plastic because the airborn bombs will enter the water and kill everyrhing. The label on a bottle about a year back said to cover fish tanks. Better safe than really sorry

Your corals might be ok since a lot of insecticides don't actually harm corals since they don't have nervous systems. However all your fish, snails,crustaceans, clams, ect, would probably die which can poison your tank and kill your corals that way.

If you set off a fog bomb, probably should do a few water changes over the next few days to be safe.

If you have a skimmer, don't forget to shut that off and cover the fuge if you have one.

If u haven't done so go to a local dog food store and buy one application of frontline or advantix. U don't need to buy 6 months worth.
The bomb only kills adults and not eggs.
Get your dog treated 1st as they are the host. Then I'd use a topical spray on everything & u can get from vet, not expensive. The spray kills adults & juvi's

We didn't bomb our house when our dog got fleas. Just flea shampoo baths, put some flea killing powder on the furniture and the few area rugs we have in the house and I think we gave her a dose of advantix. Fleas were gone, no humans got fleas and no fish were harmed in the process :)

Just frontline your dogs... The fleas in the house will jump on them and die... Unless it is a major infestation that is...

Just frontline your dogs... The fleas in the house will jump on them and die... Unless it is a major infestation that is...

I had issues with this in a rental, and they were all in the wood floors where they laid the eggs....and they jumped alive from replacing carpets.

+1 to what he said. My buddy is an exterminator, and I was worried about my tank. No worries, treat the host, and without a host they die.

Back