help with salt level

fred11

Non-member
i check my salt level this morning and its at 1.022 should i add a little more to bring it up

i keep mine at 1.025 or 35ppm , what are you using to measure? i was amazed how inacurate a hydrometer is when i gotahold of a refractometer. hope this helps

hyrdrometers are very inaccurate, if ur not using a refractometer, I would maybe add a tad of premixed salt water with high salinity or just leave it alone......As Jay mentioned it should be around 1.024-1.026

have it check by someone with a refractometer when you have time

good luck
Frank

i am using a hydrometer ...and how should i add more salt to my tank ...to check my salt level with a refractometer do i go to my local fish store??

Ur lfs should have a properly calibrated refractometer... again, they SHOULD have one (its no secret i dont like lfs's)... and if ur salinity is low, jus add salt mixed water as water evaps for a few days, and this will bring it up a bit, and should help...

ok thank u ..y u don't like lfs .so where my salt level should it be at

Some will say 1.024... i keep mine at 1.026... and as far as ur lfs question, well im not sure BRS will allow me to express my many reasons lol, but in a nutshell, they suck, and the info, and direct hobby experience, are usualky seriously lacking... they jus arent needed imo... too many dont know enough, and portray that they do, and the overall product is oiverpriced, and they generally dont carry quality dry goods, or.qt.their.livestock... but again, i have many reasons for my opinions...

Last edited:
As stated above a refractometer would be a good purchase so you can have accurate readings. Not to get off topic but there are also good lfs. Yes some are bad but there are ones in the Boston area that are good. I don't expect all dry goods to be the same price as an online vendor but most will price match is you ask. Good luck.

its tru my lfs is very expensive nd all do they is sell me a bunch of unnecessary things.
Some will say 1.024... i keep mine at 1.026... and as far as ur lfs question, well im not sure BRS will allow me to express my many reasons lol, but in a nutshell, they suck, and the info, and direct hobby experience, are usualky seriously lacking... they jus arent needed imo... too many dont know enough, and portray that they do, and the overall product is oiverpriced, and they generally dont carry quality dry goods, or.qt.their.livestock... but again, i have many reasons for my opinions...

too many dont know enough, and portray that they do, and the overall product is oiverpriced, and they generally dont carry quality dry goods, or.qt.their.livestock...

You could say this about any retail industry. Caveat Emptor.

Back