Help with salt mix

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi All,

Had a alk spike over a few weeks ago due to a bum Hannah reagent. Been trying to bring it down but corals are closed and not consuming and my Red Sea Blue bucket has high alk.

Tank sits at 13.4dkh right now and corals look like crap obviously. Does anyone have an reco for a low dkh salt? Anyone local to Franklin I could get some from?? Would pay of course..

Appreciate the help

brightwell neomarine mixers up around 6.6dkh. that’s what i use and dose it up to 8dkh when I do a water change

Do you know how fast your tank consume alk without any intervention? That’s probably the best and safest way. Turn off your dosing and/or co2 of your carx.

Muradic acid would be the stuff to use to lower alkanity but you have to be a little careful.

I wouldn’t use different salt. I would either do the Muriatic acid or just wait. My tank, I just wait.

brightwell neomarine mixers up around 6.6dkh. that’s what i use and dose it up to 8dkh when I do a water change
I was looking. But no local sources for it and Amazon is like a week for shipping.

Do you know how fast your tank consume alk without any intervention? That’s probably the best and safest way. Turn off your dosing and/or co2 of your carx.

Muradic acid would be the stuff to use to lower alkanity but you have to be a little careful.

I wouldn’t use different salt. I would either do the Muriatic acid or just wait. My tank, I just wait.
My corals are so stressed I don't think anything is growing so my alk just sits. Was at 16 3 weeks ago and had since only dropped 3 points with no dosing.

After reading my blue bucket should mix at 7-8 dkh so maybe I mixed wrong even though salinity was apot on. Going to try a fresh run tonight and see what happens. If not I'll explore acid or new salt.

I have some buckets of tropic marine pro here (Germany) if you wanted to use that. I’m in hopkinton.

I have some buckets of tropic marine pro here (Germany) if you wanted to use that. I’m in hopkinton.
I appreciate that! Going to try mixing my bucket better tonight and doing a fresh batch. If that doesn't pan out. I will keep you in mind.

So mixed my salt really well and mixed a new batch - 9.1dkh. Much more online with what it should be even though the bucket says 8.

Did a 2.5gal waterchange and I'll test alk in the morning. I plan to do 1-2 more in the coming days until it hits that 8-9 mark.

I got a fresh order of Brightwell NeoMarine 150 gallon buckets. Pickup in Woburn. If you really need it you can pickup tonight. Mixed at 7.5-8 dkh

8553FEFC-415E-402C-8001-42AC0F25B491.jpeg

Last night pre waterchange - 13.7
Post waterchange - 13.2

Today pre waterchange - 12.7
Post waterchange - 12.2

Slowly coming down. Going to keep with the daily 2gal waterchanges until I'm in the 8-9 range. Few more days hopefully.

Back