How big a heater for a big tank?

I have a won titanium on my Ranco. I just turn the temp on the dial a little higher than the Ranco is set for. Never had an issue with it nor turning on.

FYI, my 180 is in the basement with a 18 gal fuge and about 40 gals in the sump. basement is not heated, except fort he furnace, so it is usually around 60deg, somtimes dropping to 55. No problem keeping a constant 79deg tank temp with 2 300W finnex and 1 250W Won.

JD

I have a won titanium on my Ranco. I just turn the temp on the dial a little higher than the Ranco is set for. Never had an issue with it nor turning on.

FYI, my 180 is in the basement with a 18 gal fuge and about 40 gals in the sump. basement is not heated, except fort he furnace, so it is usually around 60deg, somtimes dropping to 55. No problem keeping a constant 79deg tank temp with 2 300W finnex and 1 250W Won.

JD

Sounds like my situation. Unheated basement, but the sump and everything will be in a smaller room with the boiler. It gives off a good deal of heat when running. I plan on keeping the sump directly in front (about 3') of the boiler. I also want to insulate the sump and fuge and the rest of the openings in that room. Hopefully that'll help contain some of the heat.

Are all three of your heaters running constantly?

No, definitely not on constantly. I check the tank in the morning before work. They are on about 60% of the mornings. They are on very rarely once the lights are on.

The tank itself is in the wall with the sump room behind it. I keep the door to the room closed in the winter, so it is usually 5 deg warmer than the rest of the basement. But, once the lights go on, the sump room warms up pretty good. I also cover the sump and fuge with a sheet of plexiglass. This seems to hold in heat well, as told by the condensation that accumulates on the bottom. The tank is open top. If I remember correctly, my electric bill is only about $30 more in the winter than in the spring/fall when I am not running AC. And, some of that increase in power goes to my 15gal upstairs.

JD

That doesn't sound bad at all. Does your basement keep everything relatively cool in the summer? On average, my basement stays at about 60 into July.

Paul

JD
Are all 3 heaters on the same controller?
IF so, I imagine you have the plugged into a power strip and the power strip plugged into the controller, right?

Yes, the basement helps to keep things cool in the summer. My Ranco is a dual stage, so I have 2 fans above the tank that blow across the surface of the water when the temp hits 80 deg. Humidity has not been a big issue. I think I had a high of 62% in the sump room last year. When the weather gets really hot and/or humid, the central AC goes on which takes care of all temp and humidity issues.

Yes, the 3 heaters are on one controller. I would prefer to have them on multiples, but don't really want to drop the extra money on another controller. Plus, with the water volume and the heat from the lights, I feel comfortable that the risk is minimal. But, to answer your question, I have the heaters plugged into an industrial 3-way splitter from Lowe's/Home Depot.

Moe, if you don't want to physically bypass the controllers in your finnex and won heaters, just set them for 82 or something a little high, and plug them into the Ranco. If the ranco goes nuts, or the sensor comes loose or something, the heaters will only go to 82.

Moe, if you don't want to physically bypass the controllers in your finnex and won heaters, just set them for 82 or something a little high, and plug them into the Ranco. If the ranco goes nuts, or the sensor comes loose or something, the heaters will only go to 82.
Sounds great, but I can't get the Finnex to come on at all now. :mad: No choice but to bypass, I guess.

Back