How to cure ich

ILUVPUFFERS

Non-member
Hey everyone i'm new to this Forum and fairly new to this hobby. My 72 G FOWLR tank has been running for about 6 months now. I have 100lbs of LR, 2 Clowns, Foxface, Picasso Trigger, Raccoon Butterfly, Snowflake EEL and 2 Spinybox Puffers. The Puffers are two of my favorites however I noticed some White spots on them a few days ago. Not really knowing what it was I waited to see what happened a few days later. (BIG MISTAKE) They are both covered with white spots (ICH). I've never had this problem before and have no clue what the best way to cure them is. Any help Will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You, Rob

Welcome to the fourms :)

If you use the search function on this forum you will get a ton of info on ick treatment. Also take a look at the reefcentral.com fish disease treatment forum, lots of info there.

I'll give you a few basics;
-ick has a known life cycle. part of that includes the spots dropping off and disappearing, this does not mean the problem is gone, just means the next wave is coming soon.
-You can either seek to "eradicate" or "manage" ick. learn what those terms mean and what interventions go with which approach, choose an approach and stick with it.
-To eradicate ALL the fish need to be treated with copper, hyposalinity, or the tank transfer method. The display system that they have been in is infected at least as much as the fish, this needs to be left fallow for 8-12 weeks before the fish are returneed. That's it, there is NO REEF SAFE MED that actually works.
-To "manage" ick, reduced stress, feeding garlic, UV, cleaner fish/shrimp, using "reef safe" meds, playing soothing music around the tank... are all things suggested for managment. Some of them do nothing at all, but people will tell you otherwise (they are wrong :) ) Some people are "successful" with management over time, but the parisite is never eliminated and has the potential to pop up and take a toll any time. IMO the term "successful" is debatable in this context.

Now go find that search option and use it. This topic has been covered over and over.... :)

Back