Howdy Ya'll

Wharf Rat

Non-member
Hello Boston Reefers,

My name is Mark Cioffari and I am just getting into the hobby. I bought a whole lot of used equipment and Im starting to piece together/trade for a few complete systems. I am looking to get a reef together as well as a setup for breeding a few pairs of clowns. It was only thanks to this forum that I was able to get such a great deal on all this stuff in order to make my vision financially possible. So yeah I just thaught id introduce myself, heading out the door to go pick up some more tanks in Seekonk right now. See ya around.

-MC

Hi Mark,
:w to the Boston Reefers!

Glad you're getting good deals. Coming to the meeting in Dec in Framingham? I'll likely be there.
You can buy me a beer. Just kidding. ;)

Welcome aboard! Check the above header for meeting dates etc.

FYI-Moe is not kidding about the beverage.

ok so I bought a bunch of live rock yesterday, it had been sitting in a rubbermaid tub for 2 weeks in a non heated room. Since I got it home I have been curing it in 5 gallong buckets with salt/heaters but no circulation. It doesnt smell like anything. Is it possible that I dont need to cure it and can stick it in my tank now? There is no life in the tank just salt water.

There is a likely hood that there might still be some live bacteria on the rock, but personally I wouldn't risk it. I would just completely clean / bleach the rocks, let them sit in the sun to completely dry, and then put them in the tank.

After that, you can either get some live rock from someone to seed it, or purchase a product like FritzZyme to seed your tank.

I personally decided to spend a little bit extra money and use FritzZyme because I'm trying to keep our systems completely free of pests -- as hard as it is, especially doing it on a large scale as a business, I'm doing my best :)

Any and all "used" rocks that I get go through the above mentioned treatment.

Hope this helps!

- Archit

What condition is this rock in? Did it come out of a healthy tank?

If it's got a lot of algae or other nusiance growth, then I would bleach it. If it's nice clean LR I'd be a little hesitant to bleach it. Just another $.02

Back