I am new to this....HELP

kswanson7

Non-member
I am a 6th grade science teacher in Malden. I was given 125 gallon tank a few years back that was originally freshwater. Two years ago I converted it to a saltwater tank. After slowly going through the process it was up and running fairly successfully. I have never been able to keep fish for more than 6 months give or take so you can imagine how expensive its been. This year however after returning after the summer doing a water change and clearing up most of the agaea I cannot seem to keep anything alive that I add t it. I have gone through 300 worth of fish in the last 6 weeks. Two shipments gone within a weeks time. I have two small damsels which are the only 2 fish that I orginally put in two years ago. There is an algae blenny and small yellow watchman goby still living that I just put in last week. Probaly a dozen snails remaining and about 40plus hermit crabs and 2 aneomes. I have a basic filter used just to keep the water moving plus a protein skimmer and orbit lighting system. All my levels seem to check out fine as well as temperature and salinity. I am soo discouraged at this point since the money I put in is out of pocket and my students are disheartened as well. They are so excited to see the fish being put in and then disappointed a few days later when they die. At this point I feel like giving up and draining the whole tank, however this is my last attempt to seek some help from those way more advanced into the hobby than myself. I am merely a beginner at best who is just trying to provide for my classroom. Any advice, suggestions, donations or even if someone is local to the Malden area and wouldn't mind coming by my classroom to take a peek!!! Anxiously awaiting feedback!!

You should list what ALL your tank parameters are so it's easier to see what may be going on. What else do you have for flow in the tank? Did you do maintenance on the tank during the Summer? What was your husbandry routine like? There's really not enough info to get an idea of what is going on. More details would make it easier. Thanks.

Jeff

First, welcome to the club.

it seems unlikely that copper is an issue after 2+ years of success

It would be a good idea to post the parameters that you do know.

Salinity and temp would be a good start :) Since it is a fish only tank, we can go from there, but you could mention your acclimation/quarantine processes as well

okay...there is also maybe 75lbs of live rock in the tank...not sure about copper treatments......as i mentioned I am just a beginner and only have the basics....protein skimmer that was reccomended for the size of my tank...and the original filter that was on the tank that i mainly keep just to keep water flowing plus there is carbon in the filter.....a colleague who is much more proficient than i feels as though b/c i do not have a cover on the tank and end up w/ high evaporation rate in which i was constantly having to add tap water...and although I was adding a dechlorinator I was not checking the ph of it....i am just so inexperienced with this that perhaps w/ a little more advice from people and reading i will become more aware and more successful!!

pictures of my pathetic tank :)

here are some pictures...as you can see I need a lot of help :)

Attachments

• tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 362
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 345
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 355
1-put more water in it use ro/di water not tapwater
2-needs more flow use a powerhead or two

If you can do some tests and list your findings---ammonia,ph,nitrates etc.

That's actually not a bad looking tank. I would suggest taking full test readings of your water using reliable methods. Specific Gravity, Calcium, Alkalinity, PH, Magnesium, Phosphates, Nitrates etc. Stop topping off with tap water and use RODI or even distilled if you have too. Get a lot more flow going in that tank. Add some powerheads to either end of the tank. Do regular water changes monthly. You can search this site for good solid beginner tips on how to properly maintain the tank. It really doesn't look bad, your water is probably just way out of whack. Good luck!!

'
Jeff

Tested all my levels again today...everything is perfect...ph 8.2 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amonnia 0 salintiy 1.022 temp 77!! I tested the Malden tap water...it's ph was 8.6 plus I am sure it is loaded w/ chemicals which I'm guessing the fish just couldn't tolerate! I did have someone give me 30 gallons of RO water and my tech teacher cut me a piece of plexi glass fo rthe top...so I am hoping that that will cut down on the evaporation. I don't think I can get any more water from the person I got it from so how else could I add water?? Can I use tap water if I treat it w/ a dechlorinator and proper ph??

Can I use tap water if I treat it w/ a dechlorinator and proper ph??

Unfortunately RODI water is the only way to go. Phosphates in the water are fueling the algae problems in the tank?

Looks like your salinity is low and should be raised slowly to 1.025-1.026.

FWIW, the the three things I test for are alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium (that reminds me :eek:) and I hardly ever look at my pH readings. I also never tested for any of these when I had a fish only tank, just temperature and salinity.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need a hand retesting the water.

Last edited:
Okay...so like I said I am so new at this...wtf is FWIW and a PM. My plan tomorrow is to remove 30 gallons and replace w/ the RO water....I am getting a ton of that soft purlpish reddish algae growing on all my rocks...its easily removed but its like purple slime...Is that also being caused from the tap water?? So w/o a RO system where I can make my own water where can I get it?? Ugh....this is just too complicated...but I'm not ready to give up yet :)

FWIW = for what its worth
PM = private message

I am getting a ton of that soft purlpish reddish algae growing on all my rocks...its easily removed but its like purple slime...Is that also being caused from the tap water??

Sounds like cyano and is being fed by the phosphates and excess nutrients in the water. Eliminating those two and some extra flow wouldn't hurt.

So w/o a RO system where I can make my own water where can I get it??
I would look into investing in an RODI system or you can purchase water from some LFS (local fish stores).

Ugh....this is just too complicated...but I'm not ready to give up yet :)

It's all worth it in the end. Keep at it!

My plan tomorrow is to remove 30 gallons and replace w/ the RO water...

Just make sure you mix it to the right specific gravity. If you remove 30 gallons of 1.022 water and replace it with just straight water you will drop your SG even more. Do you have salt? Phosphates are definately part of your problem. I would get more flow in that tank also.

Don't just replace 30 gallons of saltwater with RO (Reverse Osmosis) water, the RO water is freshwater. The RO water is used to replace the water that has evaporated and it is also used if you want to mix your own saltwater as well. Check with your LFS (local fish store) to see if they sell RO water and premixed saltwater. My LFS sells both for $1 a gallon.

Last edited:
Good thinking I checked the RO water...the guy said it was all set to add to tank but i never thought about the salt. Apparently he already added salt to it b/c its SG was 1.024......which I figured was okay since I am trying to gradually raise the SG anyway!! Thank you all so much for your advice....seems like everyone is in agreement that adding the tap water has been my fatality!! Live and learn......anyone know where I can get a not so expensive RO filtration system??

Welcome to the BRS! Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time getting your tank in order. it's a great set-up, and the location is perfect! Do your students become distracted by the fish? :D

You are getting a lot of great advice about the water. I agree that the untreated tap water is a likely issue. The marketplace forum is a good place to look for equipment and (when you are ready again) fish.

How are you acclimating the fish as they come in?

Good luck! It's nice to see that you are not giving up. Things can get frustrating for the most experienced hobbiest, so you are not alone. You came to a good place for help. :)

Is there any chance you could make it to the meeting Saturday or next months meeting in Framingham?

If so you can bring a water sample and we can get a good work up on your tank water and try and get you you on a better track.

It can be both distracting and calming for my students. However right now w/ very little fish there is not much to look at :( My water levels seem to be stablile everyday this week. I plan to do a few more water changes w/ RO water over the next week or so so that it will almost be like do a complete water change. Then perhaps try again with a couple of fish and see how it goes!! After looking at peoples pictures of their tanks on this site I now want to do sooo much more!! I know it can't be done overnight, but I would like to get some more live rock and start with some corals....they really do add to the beauty of the tank. If anyone knows of any organizations or what not that would be willing to donate to my classroom for education purpose please let me know!! Everyone has been so kind with their warm welcomes and advice!! Thank you!! :)

Back