I have a minor problem ordering a tank from miracles

With the stand included for this build the whole total was around 1700 with shipping. Glass cages was about 700 cheaper but had no idea how to build a trapezoid overflow so that was a red light for me. But after speaking to Derek I went with a 360 tank all sapphire glass all fours sides and went from 90 gallons to 145. Miracles IMO is more of a custom build shop then just mass producing tanks.

I just got an email from Miracles saying that my tank is finished but won't be shipped until August 3rd because they're shutting down for a week for holiday, which will mean the tank won't arrive til the 7th or 8th. I flew down some family to help me with this build and help me set it up. I ordered the plane tickets 3 weeks ago and everytime I spoke to Derek, he told me that I would have the tank by the end of July or early August. They never mentioned that they were shutting down for a week at any time during our conversations (trust me there were plenty). The plane tickets cost me $2000. They will be leaving on August 7th. I will probably have to change the flights at $150 a piece. I need them here to help me set it up because I just had shoulder surgery yesterday and won't be able to lift anything as well as unload the tank.

I just need some advice on what to do. Is this a valid complaint? I'm not usually the type to call and complain but I'm spending thousands of dollars on the tank and the plane tickets. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks

wrimlessw4sidedoverflow.jpg

I just got an email from Miracles saying that my tank is finished but won't be shipped until August 3rd because they're shutting down for a week for holiday, which will mean the tank won't arrive til the 7th or 8th. I flew down some family to help me with this build and help me set it up. I ordered the plane tickets 3 weeks ago and everytime I spoke to Derek, he told me that I would have the tank by the end of July or early August. They never mentioned that they were shutting down for a week at any time during our conversations (trust me there were plenty). The plane tickets cost me $2000. They will be leaving on August 7th. I will probably have to change the flights at $150 a piece. I need them here to help me set it up because I just had shoulder surgery yesterday and won't be able to lift anything as well as unload the tank.

I just need some advice on what to do. Is this a valid complaint? I'm not usually the type to call and complain but I'm spending thousands of dollars on the tank and the plane tickets. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks

wrimlessw4sidedoverflow.jpg

so, the tank is slated for delivery on August 7th or 8th....and you knew the tank was coming.....

last week of July or early August.

by my way of thinking, August 7-8 is still 'early August'.

My 2c, because I've had a tank ordered since early June, and you will probably get yours before I get mine. If you have to move the tickets, I'd do it, and chalk it up to the money pit that reefing in general, and reefing with big tanks specifically, is. :cool:

You're going to love your tank, it is EXACTLY what you wanted. Like all things reef, patience is the most important piece, and the most scarce commodity.

EDIT: GORGEOUS tank, btw. I'm jealous :p

chalking up $750 dollars for changing 5 plane tickets for not correctly defining end of July-early August as August 7th or 8th is hard to handle. Just my 75,000 cents

btw Derek is a good guy so its hard to get upset in any manner

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Jay on this one. I think 7th or 8th is still early August. I don't see why they would have to tell you they were going on vacation if the tank is still going to get to you when they said. I know it sucks and think I would be upset too but not at them. But that is an amazing tank, so be happy :D. what is the use of money if not to spend it. Good luck with everything and setting up the new tank. And hope the surgery went well.

Last edited:
You can't expect someone like Miracles to give you an exact date and they are still well within their original estimation for arrival. I understand your situation but you have no valid complaint here. Sorry.

I have to agree 7th or 8th is early August,
Also unless he had some control over when you scheduled the flights how could he know he was trying to hit a specific install window? I'd say the only way they could be even partly responsible is if you had a specific conversation with him and he said "yes book it I'll have the tank there for you".

Good luck with it
it sure looks awesome, I've worked with a few tanks from Derek and they are top notch !

chalking up $750 dollars for changing 5 plane tickets for not correctly defining end of July-early August as August 7th or 8th is hard to handle. Just my 75,000 cents

btw Derek is a good guy so its hard to get upset in any manner

FWIW, we're doing the meeting in Quincy on the 14th. I'll bet you that we could rustle up enough reefers before or after the meeting to get whatever you needed done for a lot less than $750.

I'll step up and volunteer, as a matter of fact, and I know there are many others here, long term and newbie, who would also do so....think about it.

Back