I killed them all.

Thanks for sharing, that is an awful thing to go through. I always worry about my tank when I'm away on vacation.

If you get her back up and running, I'll donate a nice SPS frag to start you off right. Just PM me :)

That is devastating!
I went through something similar during the summer (on the other end of the temperature spectrum).
I can give some chaeto when you are back up and running.

My jaw dropped when I saw the last pic ::

I've felt your pain before and have contemplated leaving the hobby, but I love it too much.

Let me know if you need anything Fabio.

Sorry to see that.
Please drop by and I will give you 20 free SPS frags to restart your tank.

View attachment 94251

Thanks everyone for the words. I really appreciate all the support. I love reefkepping so much, that leaving the hobby didn't even cross my mind. Since this happened I've been working on my system to make it as idiot proof as it can be. I still have some minor work to do, but the tank is ready to receive life. I want to thank everyone who offered to help. I know it's going to take a lot to get the tank looking good again.

Here is how the tank is now:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390004967.754125.jpg

Wow, that is rough, man, and how brave of you to share your story!

The new home for your new friends looks great, I'm sure they will love it!

Wow, what a loss :(

Glad you are rebuilding it, it was gorgeous before and I'm sure it will be again.

Sorry man, that's a horrible way to end a vacation :(
Still, I think your wife is right - it's likely someone will read this and check their tank and notice that something isn't set quite right; maybe saving it.

Anyway - good excuse to start fresh! What are the plans for the new tank?

Yes RMc... this is a Sad story but good to be posted. This teach all of us how delicate is this hobby and demanding. No mistakes are allowed. And this remembers me I need to add a second heater in one of my tanks as a backup if one stop working.

Squareface ....We live nearby . I can send pictures of my softies and sps. If I can give you some for the start up PM me and we arrange something.

Holy Crap that is horrible! I know it sucks but you really can't beat yourself up over it. We have all made stupid mistakes that have had dire consequences- at least I have! The most important thing is to learn from them and know what not to do next time. After my biggest crash which, was caused by a stupid mistake, it took me a while to finally look at the tank again and start to pull out all the dead pieces and restart. The result is that my tank has never looked better. I'm sure yours will be the same. Hang in there!

Wow so sorry! Sad to see this shortly after I just commented on how awesome your rockwall looked. :( jc.. what temp do you keep your house at normally that it was capable of keeping the tank up to temp?

I keep the house at 72 degrees for the dog. 77 degrees when I'm home.

Sorry man, that's a horrible way to end a vacation :(
Still, I think your wife is right - it's likely someone will read this and check their tank and notice that something isn't set quite right; maybe saving it.

Anyway - good excuse to start fresh! What are the plans for the new tank?

My plan is to make the tank similar to what it was before. Mostly hard corals. Except for the wall covering the overflow, because it's to close to the front glass. I'll use that wall for Zoas and mushrooms.

Back