I want to build a seahorse tank.

Chriscool64

Non-member
I want to build a sea horse tank but what corals and fish are ok with sea horses and ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corals can sting seahorses, plus when the seahorse grabs onto the coral it will bother it and make it close(may even kill the coral). most fish can not be housed with seahorses as the fish are aggressive eaters. good type of fish to have with seahorses are pipefish, jawfish, firefish.

I wanted to keep a pair of maroon clowns with them and do separate feedings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the maroons will be the crap out of seahorses. that would be the worst thing to put in the tank with seahorses

no clowns can go with seahorses. i have listed te fish that are safe with them

Sea Horses are awesome in their own right. If you want to get a really cool fish that goes with them, check out the blue dot jawfish. They are beautiful. They are jumpers though so have a lid. Some people put sea fans and gorgonians with them. You can also get a lot of cool looking macro algae to put in the tank.

You might be interested in this thread-
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?142113-40-Gallon-Seahorse-Tank-Design
You might also want to send a message to reefer140 for advice, He's a great guy to know and could be a great help in locating attractive macroalgae.

Good luck. I have a barnacle blenny, and a black ray goby who lives with a candy pistol shrimp. They are very peaceful fish that are unlikely to compete with the seahorses or bully them. But I have no experience with keeping seahorses. My two A. Ocellaris clownfish rule that out.

If you have a temperate vs. tropical species of seahorse, the catalina goby would be a great companion.

I've wanted to setup a tank for seahorse's as well, probably not soon, but when i do i'm leaning on just tying in a big fuge for my 60g cube with nothing but macro algae, and having the seahorses in there opposed to setting up a new tank. Thats a route to consider.

Back