Ich-X not working? Treatment in progress. What are your experiences?

Puff Daddy

Non-member
So I bought a lightning maroon clown he looks great but he had ich from the stress of shipping. I put him in my 20L QT with a small red tailed trigger. I began treating them with ich-X. and he cleared up in about three days and is looking great and is eating well. The trigger never showed signs of ich. I continued treatment for 4 days after the maroon clown cleared up, since the bottle recommends 3 days after the last signs. I have not discontinued treatment yet but noticed today that my trigger now looks like he has ich.

I am worried because I was just about to proclaim success and place them into the tank, but now the trigger getting ich has me concerned if Ich-X really kills off ich or just treats ich on the fish. The lightning maroon clown is still doing great and does not appear to have ich.

My question is, have you used ich-x? Should I continue treatment with ich-x or do a massive water change and switch to copper? Is the treatment only effective for one stage of ich so the trigger gave it a second host to move to? Will the ich be completely gone if I continue treatment until the trigger is clean?

Here is my treatment log----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/06/2015 50% water change (10 gallons). Dosed 10 ml of ich-x. Maroon has ich. Small white dots, well spaced throughout body, smaller than a grain of sand.
4/07/2015 25% water change (5 gallons) Dosed 10 ml of ich-x at 8:19 am.
4/07/2015 15% water change (3 gallons). Dosed 10 ml of ich-x at 11:30 pm. Clown looks like he is clearing up. It is harder to notice spots.
4/08/2015 25% water change (5 gallons) Dosed 10 ml of ich-x at 11pm. Clown looks clean now and is eating well!
4/09/2015 25% water change (5 gallons) Dosed 12 ml of ich-x at 8am. Everyone was grumpy that I woke them up so early.
4/10/2015 Dosed 10 ml of ich-x. No water change.
4/11/2015 25% water change (5 gallons) Dosed 12 ml of ich-x.
4/12/2015 25% water change (5 gallons) Dosed 10 ml of ich-x.
4/13/2015 Trigger has ich falling off him. Noticed on trigger for the first time. Maroon looks good and is eating well.

I've used Ruby Reef Kick-Ick. I didn't have a bad outbreak although one of my Phantom Clowns did die. He was pretty much covered, suffering and wasn't going to make it so I euthanized him. All my other fish were unaffected. Don't know if it actually worked or just stopped the other fish from getting it.

I know of no chemical other than Copper that can cure ich.
Do a basic search on RC for ich (along with their stickies) and you'll be reading for weeks :)

I know of no chemical other than Copper that can cure ich.
Do a basic search on RC for ich (along with their stickies) and you'll be reading for weeks :)

Yup, Don't invest time and money into snake oil and false hope :(

What about seachem paraguard?

Nothing :(
Don't get me wrong, I've bought some products back in the day before the good ole Internet and Google (oh, and BRS).
Not to steer you away from this site but the Stickies on Reef Central are extremely informative.
If it was tried, their is a thread on it and why said product does not work.

Tank Transfer Method and upwards of 80 days fallow are only known proven ways.
Copper can be used but will kill EVERYTHING else.
Hypo can be used but with extreme caution and absolute diligence.

Copper or hypo are the only proven ways to rid a fish of ich. Cupramine is a simple treatment and is probably the easiest on the fish out of all copper meds

Tank transfer method also works, but you can't buy that in a bottle.

I just started using Seachem paraguard in my qt, it says that it's a safer alternative to formalin. It's used to cure brook and velvet along with a few other things.

what I did that seemed to work was this :......
Garlic in food ......... this supposedly helps appetite
Amino acids and vitamin C in food ....... helps fish fight off any infection / parasite
optional ....... voogle to help boost fishes immune system / slime coat
polyp Lab Medic ........ to treat the actual ( ich) Can't say for sure if this stuff actually did the job but almost as soon as I started using it the fish seemed to have less ich . so I am including it

whatever food you feed make sure its a good one . nice and meaty preferably whole foods and fresh , from all the reading I have been doing about keeping these fish healthy almost all the articles say good quality foods are key . as well as maintaining a stable system and you shouldn't loose fish . Of course this happens for no apparent reason from time to time . But there usually is a reason we just don't see it

By the way if you lost a clown to ich it was pretty bad . clowns are pretty resiliant fish and usually the last to catch ich . sometimes you don't see the signs till its bad already .

Good luck hope this helps

Oh forgot to mention , I added a couple neon gobies , cleaner shrimp and african cleaner wrasse as well . I hit it from every angle

+1 to Reefstarter. He recommended the Polyp Lab Medic. It worked well in my fish. No recurrence. I had already lost my blue tang to ick and two other fish picked it up. I couldn't catch them so I was using the reef safe ick attach. It stinks like garlic and didn't do much except make my skimmer go bonkers. I ordered it from Marine Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also consider the tank transfer method as an option. Assuming it is Ick you are dealing with, TTM is effective and probably the safest treatment.

Copper definitely does work, but you have to be sure to test the level regularly (using the correct type of copper test kit for the type of copper med you are using) and don't use any ammonia neutralizers with copper.

Back