If you could advise a shop on how to improve....would you?

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
I'm considering running a poll (maybe poll is not a good term) in which BRS members could comment about how different shops could improve...you know, like: 'clean up the display tank'.....'stop bringing in the form of Gonipora that is impossible to keep'...etc. Information would not be revealed publically, so all those that get a kick out of dishing a shop in public would not be very satisfied. The comments would be compiled and then made available to the shop, they could do with them what they liked. So as to not waste anyone's time, only shops that were interested in receiving comments would be included in the 'poll'. I think it could potentially help a lot of shops find out how they might improve.

What do you think? Would any of you participate?

I might end up moving this thread to the BRS business section, but for now for more visibility it is here.

I think this is a great idea. The question is how open for feedback the stores are. Also how much they will be capable of implementing the suggestions received, since they seem to run on a very tight budget.

Some things might be easy to implement. I'm hoping people would be constructive, otherwise for a store it would be really tough to read a lot of really negative stuff. I could also ask the question 'What is this store doing well?'

As an employee of an unnamed store, I would hope that someone would tell me their ideas on how to improve things. I hope we will be sponsored here within the year (boss has an illness to deal with first) and would apprieciate input to better cater to the market. This club is excellent, in my opinion, and every store should be grateful to be able to learn and grow from it.

That is all.

That's true. It could be a simple suggestion that makes a big difference. For example: "The halide pendants are right on our face. It would be great if you guys could put a skirt or a cover" ;)

I was at an unamed LFS today where they were addressing an issue raised here on the boards. Some members were really complaining about this particular issue.

If it wasn't for the board it may never have been addressed however; I personally don't like to see the LFS get slammed in some of the VE threads. Perhaps a suggestion box will eliminate this? Or maybe it will just promote more problems?

I would probably opt to not participate but I would read the thread, unless of course it got nasty.

Steve

I think it is a very good idea. I would be happy to participate for the stores I visit on a regular basis. In the VE forum I believe there is a lot of that currently happening, but I am sure it is difficult to split from the complaint that almost always preceeds the "I wish they, Why can't they, If only they had"... I usually tell the store what I like and how they could have made the visit better, but not everyone does.

First suggestion, all the LFS in the midwest have coffee pots running for the browsers, haven't seen one since moving here.

>I would probably opt to not participate but I would read the thread, unless of course it got nasty.<

There would be no thread. As I mentioned, the comments would be delivered directly to the shops.

It's a flavia machine.. so it is single serve gourmet packets.. and it does tea too. There is french vanilla coffee, columbian, safari nut, hazelnut..

I always raid the flavia machine when I go to CRA! Not only can you go broke on the wide selection of SPS, you can leave with a caffeine buzz. :p

The stores I visit are for the most part very good stores but if I see something that can be improved upon or what I feel may be a better way I will usually bring it up in a way that it is a suggestion or maybe just an idea. Its up to the store owner to take it into consideration and implement it if they like. But I see no need for this "poll" for most of us visit these lfs on a frequent basis and I think we have a re-pure with the owners to the point where we can make a suggestion if we feel it necessary. just let them know in a nice way, most will thank you for it.

>But I see no need for this "poll" for most of us visit these lfs <

Many folks don't like to be so forward for fear of insulting. I know I'm this way. Many times also, the people who can actually implement a change are not around, and therefore sometimes not getting the information. I also think that it's easier to make suggestions when you've had a few minutes to think about what you really would want to say.

Greg Hiller said:
>But I see no need for this "poll" for most of us visit these lfs <

Many folks don't like to be so forward for fear of insulting. I know I'm this way. Many times also, the people who can actually implement a change are not around, and therefore sometimes not getting the information. I also think that it's easier to make suggestions when you've had a few minutes to think about what you really would want to say.
Since you put it that way then I guess it would be good to have something like this

Back