I'm actually doing it this time........

toddhgr

Non-member
Ok, so I'm not exactly a new member. I've actually been around for a little over three years but have been just lurking in the shadows gathering info and grabbing up good deals from the marketplace. I origionally joined up back in 2011 with the intention of going reef with my 265. Unfortunatly I was quickly scared away by the intimidating price of undertaking a reef conversion of that magnitude. I ended up going back to keeping tanganyikan cichlids but never quite lost the desire to try my hand at the mystical art that is Reefkeeping. I decided that I was going to take another stab at it and got a JBJ Picotope in December 2013. I took my time in cycling it and meanwhile upgraded the filtration to a modded AC70 for flow and refugium as well as upgrading the lighting to a par38 36w OC Reef spot. After getting some great frags from Peter (panayiote73) I learned my first lesson in reefkeeping, Redundancy is your friend! I nearly nuked the whole tank by depending on a cheap plastic needle hydrometer. Fortunately I figured out what was going wrong and saved nearly all the corals. Now I test with two different hydrometers and have a refractometer on order from amazon. Since I am now gaining confidence in my abilities and knowledge I decided to grab a reefready 58gal and move toward the next step in my addiction. I also grabbed a sweet 5 stage BRS RODI off trevor and have an asm mini-g skimmer coming from ebay. As soon as I get this I will be doing the recirc mod, mesh mod and direct feeding it from my overflow. I'd like to move my spot light from the jbj to the new tank when it is set up but I am looking for advice in this area. (Keep in mind that I'm on a very limited budget and I'm also very capable of and enjoy DIY projects) What should I do for additional lighting? Should I just get a few more of the same spots and mount them all in the hood? What's your opinion of the chinese knockoffs? Looking forward to any and all input!

Bueller............................................bueller.................................................

Welcome to the maddness.

I'm not sure how well the spotlight will work over the larger tank, sounds like it would make for an odd looking hot spot regardless of what other light you run. Good luck whatever you go with.

I made a DIY kit for my 28 nano from Rapid LED. Came out great I think. However once you start pricing out everything needed for a kit, you end up around the same price as some decent fixtures on the market.

So, I've been bouncing around on led sites (rapidled and stevesled) and it looks like itd be between $400-$500 for a setup that will work on my tank. Plain and simple, thats just too much. Would a DIY t5 setup possibly work for sps?

So, I've been bouncing around on led sites (rapidled and stevesled) and it looks like itd be between $400-$500 for a setup that will work on my tank. Plain and simple, thats just too much. Would a DIY t5 setup possibly work for sps?

Yeah, there are lots of people who keep SPS under T5s.

Another option: Why not go with a metal halide? You can do a MH retrofit for pretty cheap these days.

Check out reef radiance. I have two of their fixtures and they're sort affordable. I'm running the DM-155e fixtures and I'm really happy with them. They run around 160 (not 100% on that exact number).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Checked out both of them. Th radiance is better in price than others but still too pricey for me right now. I'm headed down to the eastern end of the state this weekend and while I'm there I'll be grabbing a halide light for a smokin deal from another member.

Here are a few pics of the current setup. Everything from this will be making the move to the 60 when it's all setup and cycled.

015_zpseb70acc7.jpg

017_zps2bd09bdd.jpg

026_zps220e5591.jpg

027_zps1b433ef0.jpg

022_zps81ae5b19.jpg

020_zps78ff60b5.jpg

Welcome aboard, well kind of lol since you've been around a while
Did you look at reef breeders? I have a photon 48 and love it.
Nice looking pico by the way

Just checked out reefbreeders. The valu LED looks promising both price and performance. Do you think that'd look ok on a 36 inch tank?

I'm sure it would be fine. Search YouTube for reef breeders there are a ton of video demos out there so you can see it in action

Just checked out reefbreeders. The valu LED looks promising both price and performance. Do you think that'd look ok on a 36 inch tank?

One of the value fixtures covers a 2' area nicely. 3' you will definitely have some shadows on the edges, unless you raise it way up in which case you would have spillage. I have three of the value fixtures over my 6' 125.

Back