It finally happened

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
The circuit tripped when the last light was turned on in my fish room. last night I add a big fan in the room to circulate air.

Luckyly, my wife was in the room and she called me immidiateley.

Now, I need to take down one or two soft coral tank in order to let the electricity hogging SPS tanks going. I have not even put the 250w MH on yet. :mad:

Now I have to get rid of more soft coral and lot of live rocks. It is very hard to let go all those years old beautiful coral and live rocks:(

No thanks to all of you who have beautiful SPS tanks that get me into SPS! JK

You could always add a dedicated circuit for the SPS tank ;)

Last edited:
What, so now you try to get rid of your soft coral tank Dong? I like your soft coral, let me know if you get rid of it.

Dong:

how about a window AC for your fish room? Ive got a spare in the attic from before we put in our central last year. I'm sure we could work out an equitable trade......

I can't put a Window AC in that room. The window is too small.

Do beware that circuits are not supposed to run at 99% load. The point where the breaker trips is a peak load limit, not a constant current limit. If I recall correctly, the safe load is something like 75%

Dong, that's a bummer! Good thing your wife was home, though! Do you have a backup like a UPS or a generator that you can use while fixing your power woes? Have you considered putting one or two tanks in another part of the house? That beautiful corner tank would look great in a living room or dining room.

Congrat on the 1000, er...1001 post.

Hey Gina, do you want to car pool tomorrow?

The battery backup powered the Seio and Tunze fine so there is no loss of flow in the tanks.

No matter what, I am reducing two tanks! I almost done moving all the coral I want to keep in other tanks. Waiting for someone to buy the live rocks, I can drain the tanks.

Last edited:
Absolutely, we can car pool! What time do you want me to pick you (and your frags) up?

Gina, your PM box is full.

Hi Gina:

How is 11:15 AM leaving my house sounds? I have a friend (also BRS member) also want to car pool together. If you can drop by earler, you can pick out your frags too. I will share the gas cost or I will give you free frags :D

jaiden said:
Do beware that circuits are not supposed to run at 99% load. The point where the breaker trips is a peak load limit, not a constant current limit. If I recall correctly, the safe load is something like 75%

80% is the continous max recommended load
(House) Lighting circuits are setup so that if all the lights were on in the circuit it would use 100% of the rated breaker
As long as a circuit is not running 24x7 at close to 100% you will be OK
Provided that the proper wire was used, the breaker is working properly

Reef lights have a startup surge as do a lot of high powered equipment
There is one that uses 7.6a on startup!! - then drops to 3a running
Ushio bulb on a PFO HQi ballast is the winner (loser) there
Check out the results, this is one reason mylights are staggered
Problem is - power failure - they all try to restart at the same time
My bulb/ballast combo uses 4.55a each, then drops to 2.96a

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667

Sounds like it's time to call the electrician to run another line to the fish room.

No, I don't want to pay for the extra electricity or electrician.;)

I actually getting a little tire of this reef thing...may be go back to keep discus...

dz6t said:
No, I don't want to pay for the extra electricity or electrician.;)

I actually getting a little tire of this reef thing...may be go back to keep discus...

Are you serious? :confused:

Maybe you should keep one of those softie tanks and get the discus going? Could be a good compromise

(I don't know discus care but I'm guessing you won't need anywhere near the light/electricity even for a planted FW tank?)

Back