Kalkwasser question

KReardon99

Non-member
I'm thinking of starting to use kalkwasser in my ato. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a MJ pump controlled by a tsunami at1 ato unit.. Can I just mix the kalkwasser in the 5 g bucket or would that add too much too quickly to the sump? The tank is a 75g with a 20g sump.. I probably top off appx 1 gallon per day. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure how fast your pump would add it to the tank, but I would suggest you want it to go in over several hours.

I've used a Aqualifter pump, as a cheap alternative for years to dose Kalk slowly as top-off water.
But they will clog up after a while from the kalk.

I've used a Aqualifter pump, as a cheap alternative for years to dose Kalk slowly as top-off water.
But they will clog up after a while from the kalk.

Or if you run a kalk reactor you can use the aqualifter to push RODI in (and kalk solution out in the process) and then it never touches the kalk solution and you don't have to worry about clogging.

I used a Kalk mixer fed with a peristaltic pump and home made top off control, the pump was sized such that even if the level switches failed it would take a couple of days overflow my sump and be noticed by then. That was on my 90 that also required about 1 gal/day, never had a problem.

Jim

I used a Kalk mixer fed with a peristaltic pump and home made top off control, the pump was sized such that even if the level switches failed it would take a couple of days overflow my sump and be noticed by then. That was on my 90 that also required about 1 gal/day, never had a problem.

Jim

Ideal solution, though more $$ ^

I use a BRS dosing pump the 1.1 ml one, I pretty much have it running 24 hours a day, for the past 2 years. Pretty much just pulls from a 5 gallon bucket, the bucket lasts about 4-5 days before I have to mix more.

Back