Koralia Evolution

Technorch

BRS Member
Has anyone tried one of these? I was reading online and it says that they can be hooked up to a controller or wavemaker, so I'm assuming they're fully controllable. Also, it's said that they don't make that nasty snapping noise at start up, which is what I hate the most. I currently have 2 #4, one tunze 6060 and a seaswirl for flow in my tank. Would it be a good idea to get 4 of the 1400gph new koralias evolution? I have an AC Jr to control them, would this be able to handle them? I'm thinking of upgrading to a new apex or one of the reef keepers elite, but that'll be later on :p

The controller will only act as a timer, as in on/off cycles, it doesn't have controllable speed/patters.

I've seen em.. wasn't impressed.. they are huge in tank sizes, and it's way to early to tell if they are reliable like tunzes.

The controller will only act as a timer, as in on/off cycles, it doesn't have controllable speed/patters.

That's what I was thinking as well. I think that for the price I could go with a couple or maybe just wait and get a fully controllable pump instead

I've seen em.. wasn't impressed.. they are huge in tank sizes, and it's way to early to tell if they are reliable like tunzes.

The ones that I currently have in my 125g are ridiculously huge as well, so I thought that the new ones were a little bit smaller. Would you go with a tunze or a vortech mp40? What's the best setup/number of power heads recommended for a 6' 125g with many future sps?

personally i'm a vortech user... tunzes are ok too, but i prefer vortechs. On a 125 2 or 3 vortechs would be nice... i've seen people put one on each side, and two on the back panel of a 6' tank, but it get's pricey fast. If you didn't want to drop that much money on powerheads you could always get 1 or 2 vortechs and supplement with non controllable pumps..

As far as tunzes equivalent, i'm not sure exactly... but i'd think either 6105's, or 6205's would suit you well. They are a pretty solid design.. and obviously you'd want a multi-controller too.

Advantages of the vortech IMO are a broader flow, smaller in tank size, motor out side of tank (little or no heat), and I think they just look better. The broad flow of a vortech is perfect for sps imo, massive but gentle. HOWEVER, it also means that the flow likely wont get as far into the tank as a jet stream like powerhead would be (tunze) ... so tunzes flow would likely travel further into the middle of the tank then the vortechs would. Not to say a vortech wouldn't flow far.. but you'd almost certainly be able to "feel" the flow of a tunze further away from the pump than the vortech... so that's something you may want to consider with a 6' tank size.

I've been thinking of getting at least one of the mp40 and keeping the tunze for getting some flow across the tank.

Well as i was typing, both my koralias 4 stopped and started snapping just like they do when they start up, but now they won't even stop snapping and don't give any flow. :confused: Is there any fix to this?

I've been thinking of Vortechs also.
But,I just can't talk myself into getting a second mortgage to afford them.:rolleyes:

well if you buy em used (tons on RC) then you can probably knock 100 dollars off the price... but they're still not cheap.. plus you probably wont get a warranty with them.

I've been thinking of Vortechs also.
But,I just can't talk myself into getting a second mortgage to afford them.:rolleyes:

I know, they're pretty expensive. I'm having a hard time saving up for a chiller for this Summer.

well if you buy em used (tons on RC) then you can probably knock 100 dollars off the price... but they're still not cheap.. plus you probably wont get a warranty with them.

I have seen them go for $300, but for spending that amount of money, I think sometimes i rather spend the extra on a new one and have the warranty to back me up

FYI, I bought mine used and when it broke they honored the warrantee no problem. It is more about the age of the unit and less about 1st or 2nd owner. Also, the only part that seems to break frequently is the propellor shaft, which is a known issue with them and they replace no questions asked.

I like em. I also own an MP10 and if you can find those cheap somewhere (I got this used too) then definitely try one out. It makes a LOT of flow for such a small pump. Very cool. No wireless out of the box but still nice.

I will be trying out some koralia evolutions since I think I've got the low-down back-alley hook up on em, so I will post when Ive tried them out.

FYI, I bought mine used and when it broke they honored the warrantee no problem. It is more about the age of the unit and less about 1st or 2nd owner. Also, the only part that seems to break frequently is the propellor shaft, which is a known issue with them and they replace no questions asked.

I like em. I also own an MP10 and if you can find those cheap somewhere (I got this used too) then definitely try one out. It makes a LOT of flow for such a small pump. Very cool. No wireless out of the box but still nice.

I will be trying out some koralia evolutions since I think I've got the low-down back-alley hook up on em, so I will post when Ive tried them out.

I was thinking of maybe adding 2 mp40 on each end and maybe 2 or 1 of the mp10 in the middle.

Definitely let us know how the new koralias work for you. I might buy one this weekend just to try them out too.

They are the best bang for the buck if you ask me. But 3 and hook them up to a wave timer for about $160. They perform almost as good as other controllable systems for a fraction of the price

well if we're talking strictly bang for the buck, why not just not get controllable powerheads at all? It's not a necessity after all. If that's what we're talking about then my vote goes for moded maxi-jets =).

IIRC the evolution pumps are DC, not AC? If that's the case, it's like comparing apples to oranges when comparing them to a vortech or tunze.. simply because it's not the same thing.

well if we're talking strictly bang for the buck, why not just not get controllable powerheads at all? It's not a necessity after all. If that's what we're talking about then my vote goes for moded maxi-jets =).

IIRC the evolution pumps are DC, not AC? If that's the case, it's like comparing apples to oranges when comparing them to a vortech or tunze.. simply because it's not the same thing.

Just a question Joel have you ever tested one of the new Koralia Pumps? Just wondering why you would talk so bad about them? Understood they are not the fancy pumps you own but I will tell you that the new Koralia pumps are much smaller than the old ones and I have tested them with on off cycles and in and out of the water and hand over restricked. The pumps works flawlessly not even a studder in performance. The are a shaftless pump so no binding. They make them in both 12vdc and 120ac. So IMO they are the best "BANG FOR THE BUCK PUMPS" Gary

Just a question Joel have you ever tested one of the new Koralia Pumps? Just wondering why you would talk so bad about them? Understood they are not the fancy pumps you own but I will tell you that the new Koralia pumps are much smaller than the old ones and I have tested them with on off cycles and in and out of the water and hand over restricked. The pumps works flawlessly not even a studder in performance. The are a shaftless pump so no binding. They make them in both 12vdc and 120ac. So IMO they are the best "BANG FOR THE BUCK PUMPS" Gary

Some people just have to buy the "status quo" to feel good about themselves

Some people just have to buy the "status quo" to feel good about themselves

not bashing the Koralia's since I have own them in the past but referring to what you just stated above... Does that mean when you buy low end stuff it should make you feel crappy as suppose to buying quality stuff making yourself feel good?

Quality over Quantity

Within the last 1.5 years I've bought 8 K's in different flow models. 4 are still working. I've bought 3 maximods (2 were used) and all 3 are still working. These new ones seem to have the same issues as the old (there's a fix mentioned on the second page):http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817809
I did hear that Koralia will be the official powerhead of the NFL next year....

Within the last 1.5 years I've bought 8 K's in different flow models. 4 are still working. I've bought 3 maximods (2 were used) and all 3 are still working. These new ones seem to have the same issues as the old (there's a fix mentioned on the second page):http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817809
I did hear that Koralia will be the official powerhead of the NFL next year....

Thanks for the link KSC. As I stated before I did test them I guess just not long enuff to mess up the bushing and cause problems. :confused:

Back