Koralia Evolution

Some people just have to buy the "status quo" to feel good about themselves

a bit out of line don't you think? Sorry i want my system to look good and not be cluttered with powerheads that are 10" long?

If you want a powerhead that pushes water, then by all means, they are fine. I ran my tank with moded maxi-jets for a while which are very similar to koralias, and one of my good buddies had two big koralias in his tank and it worked well.

All i'm saying is that the OP was asking for opinions, i gave him mine. No, i have never owned a koralia simply because i didn't want a jet engine in my tank, which is the same reason i went vortech over tunze. It's nothing personal, just not what i found impressive or the quality i wanted in my system... and i think the original poster thought the same thing?

Like i always say in this hobby, you get what you pay for.. there's a reason why they are cheaper, and it's not because they aren't "brand name" because the name "koralia" is probably known by more hobbyist than tunze or vortech, simply because it's at a much more attractive price point to incoming hobbyists.

If you don't want to shell out cash on quality equipment, then that's fine.. this hobby is all about enjoyment, but don't bash the people that do, and don't think they are boosting their ego when they are backing their product because they feel it is the best on the market.

Within the last 1.5 years I've bought 8 K's in different flow models. 4 are still working. I've bought 3 maximods (2 were used) and all 3 are still working. These new ones seem to have the same issues as the old (there's a fix mentioned on the second page):http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817809
I did hear that Koralia will be the official powerhead of the NFL next year....

and just another comment here to show you how your comment about me buying "status quo" things to make me feel good about myself couldn't be more wrong..

here's a member who quite obviously is NOT into the most current technology of the hobby, and he's made that very clear that he prefers an old school method of reef keeping. Even he is saying he doesn't like the pumps...

are you running those MaxiMod on a wavemaker with constant On/off?

Within the last 1.5 years I've bought 8 K's in different flow models. 4 are still working. I've bought 3 maximods (2 were used) and all 3 are still working. These new ones seem to have the same issues as the old (there's a fix mentioned on the second page):http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817809
I did hear that Koralia will be the official powerhead of the NFL next year....

are you running those MaxiMod on a wavemaker with constant On/off?

FWIW i ran my maxi's on a controller with on/off cycles for about 6 months, they of course make a click when they start up, but other than that they seemed to put up with the wear and tear very well. In an effort to make sure they lasted i did however spread the on off cycles out a bit.. i think they would be on for 20 minutes, off for 5, on for 20, or something like that..

WOW, 5 mintues and 20 minutes is a VERY VERY VERY long time.

besides, maxi and maximods are 2 very different things.

i am using the evo now for about 2 weeks on a redsea wvaemaker and i think i like it alot, other than the bulky looking of them (note: i used to have closed loop so everything looked cleaner before).

Back