Leaky bulkheads in bottom of the tank. Advice?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Hi,

My 125 with overflows in the corners was used for a couple of years probably 2006-2009.
Since late 2009 it has sat here empty.

I filled it up and noticed shortly afterwards that the back left corner is dripping.
I've got a lot of salt creep around the bulkheads in the bottom of the tank - especially the return line.
I think I can get a wrench up there to tighten. Not sure.
Overflows are mostly empty right now.
I hope I don't have to drain the main tank and work on the overflows.

Any advice here?

One of the rubber gaskets probably isn't sitting right or is worn out (they can harden and warp if the tank sits dry for years). You may have to replace the bulkheads. Are the bulkheads right over your sump? If so, just shut off the pumps, let the water level go below the overflow, then slowly loosen the bulkheads a small amount and the water will drain down into the sump until the overflow is empty. then, dry it up with a towel, and put in new bulkheads

I had to do that a few times when I started up my tank. I didn't get the gasket sitting just right and was getting some salt creep underneath.

One of the rubber gaskets probably isn't sitting right or is worn out (they can harden and warp if the tank sits dry for years). You may have to replace the bulkheads. Are the bulkheads right over your sump? If so, just shut off the pumps, let the water level go below the overflow, then slowly loosen the bulkheads a small amount and the water will drain down into the sump until the overflow is empty. then, dry it up with a towel, and put in new bulkheads

I had to do that a few times when I started up my tank. I didn't get the gasket sitting just right and was getting some salt creep underneath.

Grr. Sump is in the basement. Right under the tank is just a storage area.

Can you fit some sort of bucket under them? Like a 5 gallon bucket or a rubbermaid... Something with some sort of height to it? There shouldn't be much splashing if you loosen the bulkheads VERY slowly.

try loosening the bulkhead to get to the rubber and maybe a layer of vasoline petroleum jelly to help seal...but I would replace the bulkhead rubber gasket and clean glass again

Agreed. You shouldn't have to drain the tank to fiddle with or replace the bulkheads. The overflows should hold the water in the display, at worst there might be a sligh drip.

Hand tight on the nuts plus no more than 1/4 turn with a wrench at the very most. Very likely that the gaskets are dried up, but it won't hurt to gently snug up the nuts.

Hand tight on the nuts plus no more than 1/4 turn with a wrench at the very most. Very likely that the gaskets are dried up, but it won't hurt to gently snug up the nuts.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, play with the nuts first, then work on the tank.

Heh.

Okay, drained the line and overflow. The mess wasn't too bad.

Need a little wrench or set of pliers to get under the tank to loosen, then tighten the nut on the bulkhead.
Any ideas on a odd set of pliers to reach through a hole to tighten the bulkhead nut?

Can you use a plumbing wrench?
They are designed for tight spaces like under a sink.

If you can get the plumbing off I actually have a giant socket that will fit the nut on a 1" bulkhead. LMK if you want to borrow it?

I use a small flathead screw driver and hammer and just a tiny little couple taps to tighten or loosen bulkheads is all it takes

[QUOTE Agreed, play with the nuts first, then work on the tank .[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS my strategy.......sorry... I can't help myself

Back