Leaky Stock Tank

scase

Non-member
I'm using a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and it's got a slow leak around the fitting around the bottom. Has anyone encountered this? I've tried tightening and using teflon tape, but it's still leaking. I'm draining it again to look at it closer, but if anyone knows of common issues/solutions to this, it would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

This seems to be real common for these. Lots of teflon tape and some silicone on the threads worked for me. Leak free 2 years later. I drilled a new hole on the side for a nice strong schedule 80 bulkhead for my return pump.

I had the same problem. Used lots of tape and silicon Inside and out. I also drilled a new hole for bulkhead.

The fittings are known to leak. You can take it out a replace it with a good bulkhead.

Unless there is a small crack in the fitting/bulkhead, where the tape wont fix it. If you put on more tape and still leaking i would replace the whole fitting if you can.

Thanks all! I thought I had heard about this problem before. Anyway... I took the fitting out and gave it a good dose of silicone, put it back in, and attached the pipe which will go to it (so I don't wrench it later), and I'll let it cure for a while. Luckily, the tank which it services doesn't have any livestock in it yet, so it's not a rush job. I'll do a leak test after a while and if there's any dripping, I'll order a bulkhead.

I would drill a hole for another one and use a regular bulkhead if you can. I wouldn't want to worry about bumping the plumbing and having it start leaking down the road.

I would drill a hole for another one and use a regular bulkhead if you can. I wouldn't want to worry about bumping the plumbing and having it start leaking down the road.

Is there a reason why using the same hole with a regular bulkhead wouldn't work?

Alright, so I tried using teflon tape along with sealing with silicone. Still leaks...
I've ordered some bulkheads which will hopefully fit.

Silicone should have sealed it.
I practically used half a small tube of the clear aquarium silicone you can get at Home depot.You have to go inside the tank and put a thick bead around the inside as well.Never had a leak since day one(knock on wood).

Is there a reason why using the same hole with a regular bulkhead wouldn't work?

For me yes. There are ridges on the inside of the stock tank that hold the origional bulkhead in place. My bulkhead was larger then this so I would have had to grind those down to make the surface flat. If your bulkhead is small enough or you don't mind grinding those ridges down then you have no problem.

it's funny, but I just threaded in a piece of PVC with teflon tape to the threaded part of the drain on the stock tank. Almost 3 years, 4 moves/disconnects, multiple wiggles while I cleaned pumps, etc, and it is the ONE piece of plumbing I have that HASN'T leaked.....

it's funny, but I just threaded in a piece of PVC with teflon tape to the threaded part of the drain on the stock tank. Almost 3 years, 4 moves/disconnects, multiple wiggles while I cleaned pumps, etc, and it is the ONE piece of plumbing I have that HASN'T leaked.....

What happen on my stock tank is,when I tried to tighten the existing bulkhead and the washer twisted inside.When I tried to take it apart to straighten it out,it broke.So I tossed it and silconed the bulkhead in place.
Been fine ever since,never a drop.

Alright, so I got a good, heavy duty pvc double threaded bulkhead which fit very fine into the existing hole. Seems that there's no leaking problem now.
Thanks everyone!

Back