Manifold pump help

Kens Bees

BRS Member
I’m looking for some guidance on gph for a manifold I want to build. my hope is to have three outlets:

1. UV sterilizer at 600 gph max
2. Biopellet reactor at about 250-300 gph and maybe a carbon reactor after it
3. Line to a refugium at no more than 500gph but I’ll throttle it as needed once it’s in place. It could also become a frag area

my plan is to have this pump separate from my return. I’m thinking the pump goes in the first chamber after the filter roller. The UV is only occasional use, as needed, but I’d like to have it plumbed in since the last time I ran it the area looked liked a bomb went off. The biopellets always run and I’ve taken to running carbon regular as well. The external refugium would probably be minimal flow

is it as simple as adding up the max gph everything could use and add a little buffer? In the above example the total call is for 1400 gph so maybe a pump rated for 1600? If I run carbon after the pellets does that add to the flow requirement? If I get that 1600 gph but only use 800 regularly what happens to the excess capacity? are there other considerations I haven’t thought of?

any help is greatly appreciated.

here is mine. biopellet reactor, uv, carbon reactor and a spare future outlet. sits in sump 1st chamber

IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

Oversize wherever possible and then throttle down with valves if possible. Every bend is going to restrict flow so keep that in mind. If possible I would recommend a 1 1/4 manifold and then you can reduce size after the manifold for that kind of flow.

I'm a fan of using multiple pumps for several reasons.
1. If your single pump fails, your tank suffers. Multiple pump failures are virtually impossible.
2. When cleaning or servicing a single pump the others maintain flow.
3. You can adjust flow to one device without disrupting others

I agree with the above post regarding a little extra capacity. I don't like running anything at 100%. .

Oversize wherever possible and then throttle down with valves if possible. Every bend is going to restrict flow so keep that in mind. If possible I would recommend a 1 1/4 manifold and then you can reduce size after the manifold for that kind of flow.
exactly that is a Jeabo MDP-10000 DC pump

exactly that is a Jeabo MDP-10000 DC pump
funny, I'm using a MDP-2500 for running the pellet reactor now. great pumps for short money.

I didn't account for all the bends and turns in the cabinet so, yeah, bigger is better. I'll need to rethink the manifold sizes and bump them a bit.

Back