More Acro Flatworms!!

I wasn't sure if the clear/brown spots were actualy flatworms. Both types of FWs seem to freeze up when out of water. The next 2 pics show the movement of the clear/brown FWs when held just under the water surface.

Attachments

• 2003_0122acroflatworms30132 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0122acroflatworms30132 (Custom).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 306
have to write something to post....

Attachments

• 2003_0122acroflatworms30134 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0122acroflatworms30134 (Custom).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 302
This is infested with both FWs

Attachments

• 2003_0122acroflatworms30045 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0122acroflatworms30045 (Custom).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 308
Same coral with FWs highlighted.

Attachments

• 2003_0122acroflatworms30043 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0122acroflatworms30043 (Custom).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 305
Same coral, almost identical shot, 2 days ago.

Attachments

• 2003_0120ACROFLATWORMS20013 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0120ACROFLATWORMS20013 (Custom).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 307
Darren, r u saying that there are 2 types of flatworms or that there is just one that appears differently in different conditions. When I blow my worms off they appear clear, but when they are on the coral they take on the color (brown) of the corals.

I really don't know Chuck. Look at the pics, both show up differently on the same coral, so I'm going to guess 2 different worms.

Chuck, you really think the Seachem is causing them to loose their grip, or just the water movement?

The different coloration could be due to different species of FW, or it could be a sexual morph, or a marker of age, or it could be just that those who have recently eaten are one color, and those who haven't are clear.

Is there a way to do a slide show on this forum? I have a series of pics, taken as fast as my camera would let me. About 1-2 seconds apart. Showing how quickly these things can move.

Nossir, no way to do a slideshow that I know of.
Maybe there's a photo osting site that can do it. I dunno.

SeaChem

The SeaChem definitely knocks the little bastards off....but it doesn't hurt to turkey baste the frags while they are in the SeaChem. Thenlet the frags sit so more drop off, etc, etc....

OMG.....2 DIFFERENT types of worms? That would really suck. :eek:

One Eye said:
Chuck, you really think the Seachem is causing them to loose their grip, or just the water movement?

There is one bright side to a time-out period on trading if you are infected...your healthy corals will grow bigger and you will have more inventory. :) Maybe two bright sides - we will be better reefers after dealing with a plague.

For sure, somebody needs to write an article for Advanced Aquarist on what we are learning. We could cover monti-eating nudibranchs too.

I am making a website right now... should be online tonight with all the information I have gathered from all over the internet.

One Eye... you need to stop posting pics!! :p Every time I come back here I have more pics to add to my unfinished site :) Speaking of, if you can email me the series pics with the total time between them all, I'll turn them into a moving picture of sorts for the site.

Moe_K said:
or it could be just that those who have recently eaten are one color, and those who haven't are clear.
Yes Moe, I think you got it with this theory. The german sites show them clear & brown & I beleive that they claimed it was most likely from what they had eaten. They are transparent when the are clear so it would make some sense.

Last edited:
I think you guys are right (Moe and Brian) I've been searching with every search engine I know of, talk about redunce. It seems that they are one in the same or at least very simular. It would make sense too. The large one in todays pics was on an almost completely bleached coral that normaly has light colored flesh anyway. The smaller brownish ones were on a brownish fleshed milli.

I'm going to try and find a "safe" QT time frame.
I'm going to take a seperate tank and put an egg infested frag in it. I won't put anything else in the tank. I'm going to try and document when the eggs hatch, when I see tissue damage and when I see FWs themselves.
Other suggestions are very welcome.

Can you wait untill you see new eggs so you know how long from laying to hatching at a certain temp?

I think it's great that you guys are taking this aproach. It will help others who also encounter these problems in the future.

Back