Mystery solved

BrianMac

Non-member
I haven't seen my clownfish for quite some time. I had no idea what happened to them until a few minutes ago....Suicidal jumpers :(

Found them behind the tank. Not sure how they got out. I have egg crate covering the entire top

The last few weeks have been costly... 2 clown fish and a jawfish committed suicide and my Molly Miller taken out by a power head :(

Brian

Sorry to hear about the clownfish.

I knew they jumped!

I took a closer look behind the tank because of your post to Heather. I had my old glass covers from the tank stashed behind the aquarium. The clowns were between the panes of glass....

Oh well.....

PS already purchased another pair of clowns hopefully these guys aren't suicidal.

Brian

Bummer

This is kinda off the wall but might be worth checking. Iread somewhere that stray voltage could cause jumping. Do you have a grounding rod in you tank?

Brian, sorry to hear about your losses. 4 in such a short time! :eek:

This is kinda off the wall but might be worth checking. Iread somewhere that stray voltage could cause jumping. Do you have a grounding rod in you tank?

Good thinking...worth looking into.

My 10 yr old and I asked if we could keep the dried bodies but Brian said no and wanted to peacefully flush them. They looked neat.

He was referring to the molly miller who had a run in with the powerhead.

The dried bodies always seem nicely preserved, but they won't look that way forever. I can see why Brian would insist on letting them go.

ooopps did not realize it was the molly he refferred to. Brian was very upset about the molly. He bought new power heads today as he saw the other power heads almost suck in the new clowns we got.

When you don't have to pay for and maintain the tank and its inhabitants. You just sit back, relax and enjoy. But what fun would that be? :p

I don't know why don't you tell us? :rolleyes:

The dried bodies always seem nicely preserved, but they won't look that way forever. I can see why Brian would insist on letting them go.

One word taxidermist

have your fish been in the tank for a while?

3 jumpers is alot in just a few weeks... both clows to? seems kinda fishy to me too... I'd suspect someone is chasing them out of the tank.

have your fish been in the tank for a while?

3 jumpers is alot in just a few weeks... both clows to? seems kinda fishy to me too... I'd suspect someone is chasing them out of the tank.

The clowns were the first fish in the tank. About 8 months ago. One went missing a few months ago and I found it in the overflow. After a couple of weeks one disappeared again. I've been down to a single clown for about a month I would guess. Last week the second clown disappeared.

The story with the Jawfish is an unknown. I bought a pair a few months ago and after placing them in the tank I only saw one. The other was never seen again. So I bought a new one. I saw both Jawfish yesterday morning but I don't know if the one I found last night was the one that went missing months ago or if one of my present Jawfish took the dive. I will know when I get home tonight. Hoping for the best...

I'm just not having too much luck this week... Lost a MH bulb yesterday also (I hope...Don't want to think that the ballast went)

Last edited:
Back