need advice on light upgrade

theone

not so well known member
BRS Member
I moved this to reef talk cuz I got no response in the Marketplace section.

I'm lookimg to upgrade my lights for my 50g tank. I guess I'm looking to buy a 175W MH retrofit of some kind. I plan to make my own canopy for it and the actinics I have. Maybe throw my PCs in for fun.

I know there are many different kinds of systems out there and I must admit I don't know too much about them so any advice would be helpfull.

I've seen complete kits from some of our sponsers for $179 and don't know if they are worth getting.

thanks
Vinny

I would go with 250hqi in the long run its a much better investment.
pc actinics last about 6 months vho last a year again much better in the long run

alot of people who have been running them say 12 months on the t-5s i just bought a 6 bulb jalli light thats why i bought it now i find out the numbers are inflated :mad:

I just switched from PC's to VHO's on my main tank. Cant comment on lifespan but so far I like the VHO's a lot better appearance wise.

I run a 400w over a 58g with 2x96w PC's on my BTA tank. Assuming you want a single MH over a 3 ft tank I would agree, go with a 250 over a 175. (what are you going to keep in that system, that will be an important variable)

Right now I've got softies and a pretty big Condy Anemone that I've had for two years. Maybe later on down the road I'll get some SPS or Acros.

As far as the MH are concerned what are the pros and cons of single and double ended bulbs?

Is any MH fixture as good as the next?

double ended give you more intense lighting. they also radiate more heat.
single ended are a bit cheaper and emit less heat.

go with MH.
if you've got plenty of space around the tank for air to flow, and you can afford the expense, go with double ended (DE).

have you looked at Joe Burger's tests on MH lamps and ballasts?
http://www.cnidarianreef.com
look for the link on the right to "250 watt MH test results"

If you think you will eventually upgrade the tank I would go with Clam Man's advice on the 250's. It is more upfront but could save you from having to buy another set of light's when you upgrade your tank.

Back