New Product !!!!!!!!!

Really this thread was started to be informative, I have no relationship to algaefree, I paid just like everyone else. If it sucked i would say stay away.

Bottom line it's a new product available that works on wave makers......Would i replace my koralia with it, YES, would I give up my vortech for it, NO. Is it a good quality product affordable for the majority, YES.

Are most of you shooting the messenger, YES

My 2c now i am going back to working on my nano as i've wasted enough time with this thread.

Why would you replace your koralia? i have them and love them:(

In my opinion its the bracket that attaches to the magnet + auto stopper inside the shroud. Gives you alot of positioning options with the same output.

Steve, as for pricing, I was simply going by what they charged prior to shutting down which was 59.99 (if I remember correctly). Sea creatures was selling these for 26.99 (i believe). If oceanflo/Patrick/sea-flo have reduced their price then thats good for business and the consumer---I was just unaware of that but apparently there has been on going progess within their company to compete within this market. I applaud them for that because I do believe that when the oceanflo mod came out it was the best design and of a higher quality/machining. Always willing to give a product a chance as well as a fellow Boston reefer.

None of this will matter when Marineland comes out with their model which I'm sure they will, why buy a retro kit when you can buy a factory product for less and have the backing of a major manufacture.

Jim

But you still need to separate magnet mount for the outer magnet right? + $25-$30.

correct. but the oceanflo didnt come with a magnet for 60.

Jim, I was commenting to some others at sea creatures on my utter disbelief that marineland/maxijet hasnt created and distributed a power head to compete. Its a big market to allow others to get a foothold (some using their product) on when your company has the resources to produce a quality product to compete. They have to be coming out with something new or theyre going to become obsolete.
Unless they have determined that its not worth it...but I see that hard to believe especially for the future.

I'm not sure on the marineland thing.. the company has been sold more times than anyone can count, and has been more interested in cost cutting thru each sale than in innovation.. also, they are a large company and more likely to be pursued by tunze for patent violation I would guess.

Because a koralia can not be run on a wave maker and pulsed on and off, A modded maxijet can.

Maybe.

I can show you a whole lot of modded maxijets with busted props if you want. The standard "stopper" is totally inadequate for wavemaker use.

I'm not sure on the marineland thing.. the company has been sold more times than anyone can count, and has been more interested in cost cutting thru each sale than in innovation.. also, they are a large company and more likely to be pursued by tunze for patent violation I would guess.

Jeremy, Tunze doesnt hold a patent on prop pumps. Their product is essentially a copy of a product that came before them. Theres plenty of prior art.

Agreed with Aquadiva...I have used Patricks mod and it is top notch. I'm sure this is a good product, its just unfortunate that it looks IDENTICAL to Pat's. I think PA has had these for a couple weeks already.

Why is it unfortunate? Patrick's is a copy of mods being made as early as 2002.

Theres nothing wrong with similar designs here, as no one has rights to the design... so why the high horse?

Rich
I was referring to the identical shape of the shroud being used. IMO, the swivel arm is pretty nice looking. I understand that sort of shroud design has been in use for some time, it just seems odd to me that the company would meet with Pat, see his product, and then release a product down the road looking identical. The maximods shroud is different isnt it? I know it happens all the time in every industry, still unfortunate.

Theres is wider, shorter, and IMO, a much better design than Pats (as is the Mjmod. I'm of the oppinion that Pats shrouds are entirely too narrow and long). The only thing thats similar is that its straight sided, unlike the Mjmod one.

Go look at the volute on a couple different powerheads... theyre a lot more similar than these two products.

Theres is wider, shorter, and IMO, a much better design than Pats (as is the Mjmod. I'm of the oppinion that Pats shrouds are entirely too narrow and long). The only thing thats similar is that its straight sided, unlike the Mjmod one.

Go look at the volute on a couple different powerheads... theyre a lot more similar than these two products.

Rich, you have obviously not seen the last version of the oceanflo that was sold (and what the "other guy" looked at at Macna). Although this design is slightly fatter it looks pretty much identical. On top of that, he totally copied the propeller design. Pat was the only one making that one piece propeller out of all the makers you mentioned.

IMO, who cares. It's just another product for the industry. I like Pat's mods and that's what I have in my tank. If someone else likes another product, good for them. No real skin off my back. Why is it bothering the rest of you?

I don't think there is any need for 4 pages of bickering over a new product.

Rich, you have obviously not seen the last version of the oceanflo that was sold (and what the "other guy" looked at at Macna). Although this design is slightly fatter it looks pretty much identical. On top of that, he totally copied the propeller design. Pat was the only one making that one piece propeller out of all the makers you mentioned.

Abbey owns two of them, so yeah, Steve, I have seen them. The "slightly fatter" is a HUGE deal. It totally alters the behavior of the pump.

"Pat was the only one making that one piece propeller out of all the makers you mentioned."

There were a couple of other guys making 1-piece designs before Pat even got involved. The quality of Pats were much better, but the idea most certainly wasn't his.

I don't get why everyone is all indignified about this. Its all public domain. Nobody owns these basic designs, and that includes Pat. You can't steal information that nobody owns.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say we're all being "indignified" since it isn't a real word. I thought you meant "undignified", but that doesn't really make sense either. Anyhow, in my case, I'm just standing up for someone I respect that's all. I'm not saying what they did is illegal, I'm just saying it stinks.

indignant= expressing strong displeasure to a situation they understand to be unjust

I think thats the word, my definition might be alittle off but main idea is there.

I tend to agree with apistoborelli, this thread was meant to be about a new product and peoples feelings are getting in the way. WHen you see it and test it out get back to me, otherwise I think its time to stop bickering about shroud size and prop design-

Time to stop bickering and getting your panties in a wad over something that doesn't directly affect you. I didn't see PHreef make a big deal about any of this, why should any of you? Each person here can make their own decisions about which product they want to buy based upon any number of different reasons.

Thanks chew* for bringing this product to our attention.

Why would you replace your koralia? i have them and love them:(

Actually i'm going to re answer this question in depth.

A koralia 4 consumes 12w for a max of 1200gph. I won't compare the others as they can't be considered close based on gph.

A koralia has limited range of swivel direction.

Koralias have been having problems on seio controllers.

Koralias can not be cycled off and on on a wavemaker.

Koralias magnets aren't really powerfull enough for thick tanks.

Koralias are known for premature failure.

Now on to maxijets.

A maxijet 400 consumes 5w, a 600 7.5w, a 900 9.5w a 1200 15w

You can run 2 400's with the mod that consumes less than a single model 4 koralia. Typically less power consuption can lead to less heat in a display also.

with the mod there are numerous mounting abilities and a larger range of swivel movement for positioning

Maxijets have given many reefers reliable service for years and years.

Maxijets can be run on controllers and on wavemakers.

Maxijets have proven to be very reliable over the years.

You can buy optionally stronger magnets that actually fit properly for thicker glass tanks.

This goes for oceanflows or algae free's.

Back