Skunk Cleaner not eating

Amazon

Non-member
Hi,

We purchased a skunk cleaner Saturday. Did a slow acclimation over 2 hours. The little bugger hasn't eaten or run around the tank yet and we're going on 48 hours. It shows no interest in food when the tank gets fed. Just hangs out in one spot cleaning his whiskers, etc.

I know it's "just a shrimp" but I don't want to lose it. Any ideas? One thought I had was he's going to molt. But I suppose time will tell.

Very similar with mine, he hangs out in a corner of my tank during the day (unless I put my hand in and he wants to clean it ;)) And he is out and about with other shrimp at night.

Pretty soon when you're trying to target feed your corals you'll wish he just stayed back behind the rocks!

I hope he comes around. The one in our other tank is a spaz and mugs the clown fish. They are not amused.

This new guy in the big tank has stayed in a 6" square vicinity. Very strange. Our butterfly wants to be cleaned...backs right in to the shrimp and stays there and waits. Shrimp ignores him. Go figure.

Mine crawls around everywhere and I feed it mysis with a turkey baster. Mine is always hungry, and always trying to steal food from my anenome.

Mine did that same exact thing for the first few days I had him too and now he's everywhere during the day so I wouldn't be too worried.

It may have molted just before your purchase. Mine wont eat 1-2 days after molting but other than that, it will take food off the surface any time of day.

bye bye shrimp

UPDATE: came home to the shrimp out in front on the rocks (first time, has been hiding). Said to my husband "sure he's not dead?". Reply - nope, he's fine.

Not two minutes later I see a nassarius climbing up the zoas, rock, etc. and then grabbing the shrimp.

Guess he wasn't fine. But he was still alive.

It just really pisses me off to spend $29 on a shrimp that ends up as snail food. The darn thing never ate and just starved. Got it a TI. First time I've had a problem with something from there. I'm not bashing them, just frustrated.

OK, I'm done ranting :mad:

He will eat, mine attacks the feeding tube. It took a few days before mine ate and he was terrified of the tube but now he won't leave it alone, yours will come around.

I also got mine at TI, and he is amazingly hardy. I didn't know that I should drip acclimate him, so I just dumped mine in after floating the bag for 1/2 hour. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Back