New to BRS and the hobby

tonka

Non-member
had a freshwater 29 gal got very bored. Found a LFS and let them talk me into a 29 gal reef. Been about 3 weeks and I have about 32lbs Live rock 40 lbs sand 10 lbs live sand and 1 lonely little Benggai. Now the guy that help me start no longer works there. On a side note the first benggai got stuck to the filter and died so this is fish # 2 How much water movement is too much ( my water tested out fine and the fish did not appear ill)
Thanks
Bob

brsanime.gif

welcome to the brs :) there are others here that can answer better than I can... but when the water is splashing out of that tank.. my feeling is that it is too much... ;) haha.. but seriously if you consider the ocean.. there is a lot of movement in the water compared to a body of freshwater... I was surprised when I made the transition from fresh to salt myself... what do you have/want to have in there for powerheads? (type/size/#) that will give others an idea of what you are starting at to better answer your question.

sorry to hear about your fish :( usually they don't get stuck to the filter unless something was already wrong sorry to say... saltwater fish don't always make the transition to captivity despite the very best tank conditions we can give them....
I have had the best luck getting fish from other members that have already been in a tank for a while and have shown to have made it into captivity ok. if you look in the fish and critters section there are fish for sale all the time... and another bonus... usually the seller can tell you a bit about the fish's personality... salties seem to have a lot more of a personality than freshies imo, and it can vary greatly! I have had some really grumpy fish! and you can always post that you are looking for a specific fish you might have luck that way.

~Sara~

Hi Bob! Welcome to the BRS! :)

Sorry to hear about your fish. Now when you say that your water tested out fine, what were you testing? Can you list your measurements for us? Sometimes, something isn't tested and it is the culprit, especially in such a new tank. More likely than not, you're still cycling and the fish was added too soon. I most certainly could be wrong, of course, but three weeks is a very new tank.

I bought the benggai from AG in Hudson and brought the remains and a water sample to them to test. So I do not have the results. But Sam told me the water was good and out of the other tank bred Benggais that came in they were all doing well. I have a tetra tec 350 filter (aprox 300GPH) and a maxi jet 1200 ( 295 gph) So I was wondering if the little guy just couldn't swim away from the intake tube of the filter fast enough. He was eating well. I bought him on thurs and acclimated him via the drip method per AG and he seamed to be doing well. He was moving around Mon night but Tue morning there he was stuck to the filter. All of my testing was done at the store and it was fully cured live rock I had in the tank. I do know that 3 weeks is a very new tank hence the one lonely benggai. Pardon my rambling I work nights and its well past my bedtime.

Second lonely bennggai doing well for now. Downgraded to maxi jet 900 and turned down some of the flow on the tetratec.
Also feeding with turkey baster per B to ensure no extra food that may cause a temp spike in anything. He seems to be doing well.

Hi Bob,
Nice meeting you today!
I hope you have good luck with your tank.
By the way, how's your bike? :)

Hi Bob,
Nice meeting you today!
I hope you have good luck with your tank.
By the way, how's your bike? :)
bikes fixed :D luckily I had a spare cable at home so it was a five minute fix.
great meeting you as well. Glad to find resources to help me I no longer feel alone in a dark cold ally....:eek:

Back