New to BRS, New to hobby

AnthonyF

Non-member
Hey everyone,

So I am still new to all of this and learning as much as I can as fast as I can. I was actually referred here from my cousin and hate to say it but I will most likely be asking as many questions as I can. Currently I have a 20g freshwater tank that has been set up for about a year. I am starting to get tired of the freshwater scene and really want to get into saltwater so after a lot of thought, I went and got a 40 breeder. Unfortunately all I have is the tank but this will give me the time to get the rest of what I need. I can say I have probably aggrivated my girlfriend enough with talking about it and telling her everything I learn so it will be nice nice to be able to tak to people about the hobby and not have them get sick of it. I am from Medford and I look forward to meeting you all at some point through the monthly meetings and possibly at other functions and learning as much as I can from people more experienced than I am.

-Anthony.

Welcome to the hobby and the site!

It's easy to want to rush but that's the worst possible thing you can do. Take your time, read, and ask lots of questions.

Good luck!

welcome to BRS.Best thing to do is try to check out other members tank in person and pick their brains

All good points! I know there are a couple members that live in the Medford area, and could probably be enticed to let you see their setups! Also always keep your eye on the equipment for sale section, in this hobby there are those of us that are constantly buying new equipment and selling older stuff that works just fine!

Another good idea is to come to our meetings. This next one should be very informative as it is a fragging demo.

Welcome to BRS!

I leave in Malden right next to u. U r welcome to come over anytime and look at my set up.

Higor's EVO 3D

Thanks everyone! I will definitely take the chance to look at anyone's set ups and may even look for some help when I get everything I need to set mine up. One bid question I have been working with is if I should get my tank drilled and add a sump. I was told the other day that for a tank that's that small I shouldn't risk drilling it and just throw a good skimmer on the back. Then I have done some more research and it looks like adding the sump will only help me. I have looked at the Aqueon ProFlex Model 1... Anyone have any reviews on that? If anyone has any suggestions on equipment I'de love to know as there are so many choices. I do have a Koraia 550 which was going to go into a 20g but then I got the 40 so I don't know if that will be worth having now. I know I want to keep things like Zoanthids, and anemone. I like the look of lots of movement in the tank and I would like to keep things like a flame angel, blue sapphire damselfish, a pair of clowns, some kind of mandarin goby and thats really all i have seen so far as fish i like that are good for beginners.

Unfortunately it looks like I wont be able to make this meeting as I already have a commitment to be in CT that day but I will definitely be making as many meetings as I can.

Welcome to the club!! Ask as many questions as you want I don`t know about everyone else but I love answering questions.
40 breeder is a great tank to start with good dimensions. I would defiantly would drill that tank and use a sump. When I first started I started with a 55gal (awful dimensions) and no sump. Well now I sit 2 yrs later with a 75 gallon and a sump.Do it right the first time.
As far as a sump I would skip those pre-made sumps that cost and arm and a leg and look for a used 20 gallon on here to use as your sump. The money you save you can get your self a nice skimmer and some more PH (power heads) which are two very important things in this hobby.
You will definatlly need more flow than the power head you mentioned Flow is one of the main ingredients in a successful reef. Long as your not a phycho or anything im only a couple towns over and more than willing to show you my set up.

Welcome Aboard! Check out the forum header. Good opportunity to meet some local members.

Thanks everyone! Glad to be here. Can't wait to meet you all at the meetings, hopefully check out some set-ups and share my finished product when I finally get it going over the next couple of months!

Back