New to the hobby

Welcome to the club! For a 55, I think trying to flow 700 GPH through your sump is too much. As a general rule, I try to shoot for 5X the tank volume, 10X the sump volume. So you would likely want between 200-250 GPH. For that, a DC12000 would be WAY oversized. I am using that on my 125, and I run that at 50%.

Yup, a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 would work fine. 357 gph at zero head and 258 gph at 3'. So you'd get about 200 gph at 4'. Perfect for a 55 gallon. Been running one for several years. Only need 3-5x tank volume through sump and powerheads in tank for flow. Do not rely on return pump for tank flow.

I can reduce the flow with a valve .. Can't I ?

Sure, but why would you? You'd only be stressing the pump out and making the electric company very happy.

The overflow kit was rated for30-60 gal .. Gl**************.com 700 in and out kit

Have the exact same overflow on my 40 breeder I bought used. 1-1/2" 700 gph overflow for a 55 or 40 gallon tank is too big. I reduced the pipe to 1" because the noise from not enough water going through the pipe and sloshing around drove my wife and I crazy with the tank in the livingroom. My tank was used so I had to deal with it and make adjustments. If I was buying an overflow for a 55 I'd go with the Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Box Complete Kit at 300 gph and put a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 for a return pump and you'll get 200-225 gph. Also, 55 gallon tank is not a great size for a reef tank, it's only 13" width, you'll hate it quickly after you put live rock in. Consider a 75 gallon reef ready that's 48x18x21".

Last edited:
This is my first go at it .. And the 55 was free .. No need on spending a lot if I'm not sure I'm even gonna be into the hobby in a year ..a low cost 55 is better than no reef tank at all

I started with a 55, which turned into a 125 less than 18 months :) It will be a fine starter tank for you, but you will definitely want a wider tank after you start stocking it.

This is my first go at it .. And the 55 was free .. No need on spending a lot if I'm not sure I'm even gonna be into the hobby in a year ..a low cost 55 is better than no reef tank at all

If it's for free it's for me! I will give you some experience getting your hands, arms and floors wet :)
Then you can decide if you'd like to continue.
Ask for help, we're here and good luck.
Welcome to the insanity!

Jebao dc6000 maybe. Great thing about dc pumps is you can easily adjust the flow down and not stress the pump like with a valve. Also great on no heat or noise.

I love to tinker with stuff , depending on where you are I'll lend a hand . its not really complicated once you gain some confidence Then you start trying more "advanced " things before you know it it is easy as pie 10 basic things to check , Alk, calcium , salinity are first priority after Nitrates . ammonia and trites have become stable . thats six , water flow and how it moves throughout the tank , lighting is a biggie , not too much but not too little Magnisium is not a big priority but you'll need to check it from time to time . Nutrient export , IE skimmer , fuge biopellets ( which I haven't tried yet . ) thats really about the basics . after you have those stable and things start to mature in your tank its all about watching it grow , making sure things stay stable . The corals will tell you somethings up .

Back