Newbie here

Brutto14

Non-member
Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself to Reefers. I'm just getting into the salt water game and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before i start my own reef. I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning from your experiences.

Thanks,
Jeremy (brutto14)

there are many books that are great.......that i haven't read yet. but welcome to the hobby. the best resource is the internet, use it wisely.

Welcome to the BRS! Yes ask a lot of questions and take your time. The biggest killer in this hobby is rushing and being inpatient and as Michelle said go to a meeting we have a club library and you can talk to a lot of the other members just ask we love to talk about our tanks.

Welcome! I love to meet other people from Rhode Island who are in the saltwater hobby. I don't know what size reef you are planning, but if it's a nano, I found "The Nano-Reef Handbook" by Christ R. Brightwell, very helpful. It was primarily designed for tanks under 20 gallons, but the information it contains applies to tanks of all sizes. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure which way to start off. With a nano, or a larger tank. Either way I want to use high quality/high efficient equipment. I'm dead set on being as prepared as possible for this so I'm going to take my time and research all factors involved. What did you guys do starting off and how did you make out? What mistakes (if any) did you make along the way? I've kept fresh water aquariums throughout my life but this all seems like a whole different world with all the different filtration systems and equipment needed and how they work with each other. Crazy plumbing going into peoples basement filtration systems, and setups that look like they require their own nuclear power plant so they can run properly. You wonder what person in their right mind would devote so much time, work, and money on some fish and pet rocks. Until you see these beautiful, living, growing, works of art. It then makes perfect sense....

Upgrade is a common term in this hobby cause a lot of people go the small route then the bug becomes over powering then you are selling stuff and buying bigger. My advise is to find a place you would love your tank measure it and see what size tank you can fit. If that size is do able to you then go that route. To me I love the 75 gal size and I'm happy with it but who knows if I had more space. lol I just say this cause upgrading is a hassle, ends up costing more, stresses coral and fish. More advise is plan I can give is to plan it out as best as possible. Like coral selection so you know what lights to buy and flow required etc..

Good luck!!

Back