Nilsen Reactor question

Not sure if this is a hijack, but..

I assume the idea is a gravity feed to the sump, or is this thing pressurized by the RO/DI line coming in?

Also, I am currently using the "dump method" of kalk mixing. Dump in Kalk, dump in water, let settle, use. So if this stuff is getting mixed, doesn't that mean that the kalk never really precipitates out?

Nate, how tall is that thing?....it doesn't look big in the picture, but if that is 1/2 inch PC I'm thinkin it's like 24 inches?

Thanks (sorry for the hijack0 :rolleyes:

Yeah, sealing the reactor will minimize the formation of insoluble CaCO3 (I think that's what it makes), but I think your design could work as well. I'd have the RODI inlet be all the way at the bottom, so it has to go through the layer of kalk. That helps keep things saturated between stirrings.

With an open reactor the vertical placement of the reactor would be very important, because the height of water in the reactor will be the same as the height of water in the reservoir that's feeding the reactor. If the reservoir goes higher than the top of the reactor it will overflow, and if it goes below the top of the baffle in the reactor, then the reactor will stop working, so you need to get it just right, and it has to stay there.

Would yours be square or cylindrical? I ask because tapping through the curved side of the reactor is harder than going through the top. I made all my holes through the top of the reactor, and I'd recommend that. It's much easier to get a positive seal.

I don't think it's very hard to seal the lid of the reactor, so I'd probably lean towards making my design, but I think your method would work too, and it might save a little work.

the top would fit pretty tight, it would just be easier to get off and refill due to cramped space, the body would be square so tapping would not be a problem. Also the RO feed would be hooked directly to the RO with a valve connected to an autotop off switch, basically water would come in and it would overflow out. It was just a thought and quick sketch(works slow today) smcnally was looking for different options, I'll probably go with your design Nate its a proven method

Yeah that would work well with the RODI hooked directly to it sch.

Linda, mine is about 18" tall. I have it gravity fed from a reservoir above the sump in my basement. I tried hooking mine directly to the RODI output, and regulating it with a float valve in the sump, but pressurizing the kalk reactor blew the top flange off the body (! doh!), so I decided gravity feed would be smarter. :)

Another option would be to have a float switch in the sump, and have it turn on a small powerhead in your RODI reservoir, that pushes water through the reactor and into the sump. But it would have to be a very slow powerhead of pump, so that it wouldn't stir up the kalk too much and add undisolved powder to the sump.

I really need to re-think How I'm going to do this. I just realized that my float valve doesn't allow a hose to be attached to the outlet. I'll either need another float valve, or have to re-think how I will feed the reactor...bummer.

I haven't yet found a float valve that can be used in-line. But it isn't necessary for a kalk reactor. Just put the float valve downstream of the kalk reactor in the sump.

Water will only enter the kalk reactor when the float valve in the sump opens, and allows water out of the kalk reactor.

Nate

do these things get hot when you add the Kalk, I was just wondering if it could get hot enough to compromise joints or thin acrylic

Calcium Hydroxide (pickling lime) doesn't produce much heat when it dissolves. Calcium Oxide (quick lime) produces tons of heat when added to water (it converts to Calcium Hydroxide + Heat). You can definitely melt acrylic with this reaction (just ask Armando). To avoid a dangerous situation, add your water first, then stir in the quick lime. The problem occurs if you dump a pound of quick lime in a reactor, then slowly pour in water. The small amount of water is plenty to create the exothermic reaction, but not enough to absorb the head produced.

Nate

Back