Official November 20th Meeting info

scavdog

Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
marini-calfo.jpg

marini-mug.jpg

Frank Marini was born and raised in Hudson Mass. After high school he joined the Army and moved to Ft. Benning GA to complete his Military education. Four yrs later he returned to Massachusetts to attend and complete college. In 1989 he moved to Houston TX to begin his graduate training in Molecular biology at the University of Texas.

From the start, fish, and fish tanks intrigued have always me. My parents setup my first tank, a 30gal metal-framed glass box containing seahorses when I was 12, I was hooked from that day on. Since then, I've kept a number of different fish and have always focused on predatory and unusual fish. I started my first reef tank in 1986, and my first large fish only in 1989. I fell hard for the banggai cardinal fish in 1995, and after solving the mating issues had multiple successful breedings. I have been credited w/ having the first reported breeding of these fish and successfully raising the fry. In 1997, I scaled up my banggai production and was able to supply over 300 banggai fry to local Houston pet stores. I continued banggai breeding for a few years thereafter, but again have refocused on predatory fish (mainly the scorpionfish family: lionfish, etc).

For the past years I've been a vocal proponent of keeping Fish Only tanks and expounding the merits of keeping large visually stunning fish. Ive had the opportunity to breed a number of ornamental fish and in collaboration with Martin Moe wrote a series of articles on Fish breeding for the home hobbyist in the online publication AdvancedAquarist. I currently moderate one of the largest forums on home ornamental breeding called "The Fish breeding forum" at Reefcentral.com, and frequently contribute to topics in both reef fish and Aggressive fish forums.

calfo-mug.jpg

Anthony Rosario Calfo was born in Hawaii and lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
He is a lifelong aquarist and an aquarium industry professional that worked the better part of the last decade as a commercial coral farmer and wholesaler, producing cultured reef invertebrates for the ornamental and zoological trade. In a greenhouse environment, he has witnessed such blessed wonders as spawning Tridacnid clams and Cassiopeia jellyfish growing from medusae to adulthood. He is currently working as a writer producing fiction and non-fiction material for Reading Trees Publications www.readingtrees.com).
View current and future works here .

He is also a mentor and regular content provider on Bob Fenner?s Wet Web Media
where he can be reached via e-mail daily for advise and shared opinions as part of the WWM crew.

Anthony also enjoys visiting aquarium societies,public aquaria and businesses
to participate in workshops and to offer presentations on exciting endeavors
of coral propagation and aquatic science.

In 1994 he co-founded the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarist Society with the inimitable Bob Dolan.
He was schooled at Carnegie-Mellon University
and the University of Pittsburgh.
Other interests include African felids, photography,SCUBA, travel, music and studio arts.

In addition BRS sponsor Beacon Aquarium will have a booth set up at the symposium. Please visit their forum for more details on specials!

beacon.gif

Congratulations on setting up a great program. Good venue--Boston's greatest undervalued asset (UMB). Well worth the wait.

An address for the meeting place will be nice. Not everyone know ehre U'mass is.

I also want to advertise the fact that the Salt Water Addicts of Maine (SWAM) will also be hosting Mr Calfo for a propagation workshop at Bodoin College Saturday the 19th. Frank will also be presenting. The topics promise to be dissimilar from Sundays presentation.

SWAM, would also like to extend an invitation to have an inter-club frag on this day as well.

For more info, check: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=661663

57318logoa.JPG

KAS said:
Is the heat going to be on? :D

Heheh :p Yes, the heat will be on. School is still in session at that time.
From what I remember while I was a student there, the auditoriums still can be kinda chilly even when the heat is on. Bringing a sweatshirt is probably a good idea.

do you have to be a member to attend this meeting? i have read that it depends on the speaker or the non-members just have to buy food or pay at the door. what is going to be going on at the november meeting?

You don't have to be a member to come. We will be charging a small fee for non members but we are still discussing the details for non members.

$10 will get you in the door if you are a non-member.

can we pay to be a member at the meeting also? or should i go through this website?

Could you provide an agenda for topics to be covered. It would help those of us trying to decide which meeting (Maine or Boston) to go to. I'm personally leaning towards Boston, but would like to know the agenda. Perhaps I'll go to both. Thanks

Chip

We will post a formal agenda ASAP.

Personally, I will be making both meetings. Anthony will be having a prop workshop and I would also like to trade with some of the Maine folks.

Back