Okay paranoid Question

zev

Man of La Mancha
So I am about to set up my first reef tank. It is a 55 gallon and the stand that came with the tank only supports on the outside rim of the tank..... is this okay or am I tempting fate.....the paranoia is comming from the Idea of the bottom of the tank breaking.....is this possible?

Is it a brand new tank?
Anyway, you're safe. Most stands just support the 4 lower rim edges and not the actual glass bottom panel.

you never want to put force on the bottom glass of most glass aquariums. around the edge will be just fine

I recently broke down a 55 gallon reef tank. I had it on the same stand that you describe. Everything was fine. The only problem which I had with the 55 was with the cross bar. After about a year, the cross bar showed a small hairline fracture where it attaches to the front part of the top of the tank. This proceeded to get larger week after week. II spoke to a LFS about it and was told that this plastic fracture had little to do with the support of the tank anyway but talk about paranoid, I got rid of the tank. You should be all set with the bottom structural integrity from my experience.

Back