Optimal lighting for a seahorse tank?

dpnshnks

Non-member
Well the title says it all. I'm setting up a seahorse tank and wondering if they care about lighting. Currently, there is a NO fluorescent above a 29g tank, but this set-up doesn't allow me to use the matching canopy. I was thinking about putting a 175W MH in the canopy and I'm wondering if there is any benefits/drawbacks to doing so outside of the increased operating costs? Would I be better off just finding a NO retrofit kit for the hood? Thanks for the input!

Eric

PS Sorry about the disjointed thread, my brain is still fried from taking an 8 hour practice exam! :p

MH is far too bright for seahorses. everything else should be fine tho, but if going T-5 then 96 watts (4 24 watt bulbs) would be enough, no real limit on pc, NO or VHO that I know of.

I've been coontemplating on lights as well for my seahorse tank (in the making) and I am a little confused about something. They say that MH's are to much for the seahorses but what about the people that have sea grass in their seahorse tanks? Doesn't sea grass need MH's?

Hi Eric and Adam, Good questions. I had a 150 MH over my seahorse tank and the sea grass did very well. The horses didn't seem to mind the MH, but I don't think I would go any brighter. I lost the light due to a malfunctioning ballast so now I have about 96 watts of PC over it. That isn't enough to keep the grasses. The 150 MH also allowed me to keep some of the more difficult gorgonians and a few soft corals. Be very careful of the corals you put in .. . the little horses can get stung very easily. They are also easy prey for rougue crabs and such - I only put snails in the SH tank.
If you put MH over the tank please make sure that there are plenty of places for the horses to "hide" to get out of the direct light and that you have sufficient means to keep the tank cool. The temp should not go above 77 or 78 degrees. That might be an issue with MH.

We want pictures!
Paula

Last edited:
Thanks Paula. One more question. You had 150w of MH's, say I have about 200w of PC's over the tank, would the sea grass thrive under that or do they need MH's?

Adam, I really don't know if 200 W of pc would do it ... When I bought the sea grass from Floriday Pets, they really stressed that the grass would need the intense light of MH. You might have to compromise . .

Good luck.

Back