Percula Clownfish Anenome type?

JJ Goodtimes

Non-member
Hello All,
Well, I am a ROOKIE at this saltwater fish tank stuff to begin with. I have a 45 gal. tank and so far I have the following in it. 40 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs. of live sand, (2) Green Chromis's, (1) Percula Clownfish, and (1) Red Spotted Hawkfish. I wanted to get an anenome for the Clownfish since every happy Clownfish I have seen usually has an anenome to snuggle in. However, my lighting is just a 20 Watt Aquarium Bulb, but it definitely seems bright in my tank. Are there any anenomes out there that I might have some success with? If so, which types should I be looking at? I appreciate any help at all. Thanks everyone.

There are really no anemones that can survive under that amount of lighting. They get their food primarily from photosynthesis and need light to be healthy. Clowns don't need anemones in our tanks and will readily accept several low light substitutes for homes. Green star polyps are a great starter coral that clowns often love being in.

i noticed this is your first post....welcome to BRS. this is a great place to get answers to any question, large or small.

look in the "Equipment" forum...you can find good deals on great used stuff. probably something there that will light your tank at levels aceptable to keep different types of easy to care for corals and a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) offten found in green or brown but cann be found in red too.

good luck and welcome

welcome! I agree with Cindy and Andy above. If you want something for the clown to hang out in, you can get a low light coral for now. I've had mine hang out in many things - hairy rhodactis mushrooms, xenia, green star polyps, and a pearl coral. Any of those except for the pearl coral you could probably do with your current lighting.

I'd say though that you will undoubtedly want to upgrade your lighting before too long though - this hobby is so damn contagious - once you buy one coral, you just can't stop!!! :)

Laurie

Back