Percula Clownfish trouble . . .

I added two tanks raised Percs into my JBJ Nano yesterday to discover them both troubled this morning swimming feverishly around the tank and one seems to have developed white spot on its fins. They are ignoring food and I fear the worst. The parameters are perfect and I cannot explain why this tank cannot seem to maintain fish in it ... mixed LPS and softy tank, one new SPS, LED lit . . . Does anyone have any advice?

What are your readings, numbers? have you been having trouble adding fish in the past? Do you have any fish? How big is the tank? Could be a lot of things but white spots a lot of times are ich.

As far as the feverish swimming my clowns behaved like that for about a week, until they became acustomed to the flow pattern in the tank and where the swim-throughs and overhangs were located.

White spots, I'd fear ich as well. Did you quarantine them first? How long has it been between sets of fish?

Thank you for all the replies... My Alk = 8 ish Ca = 400 Mag = 1440 PH 8.17 Phos 0.3... JBJ 28g mod with Nanotunners LED's ... I run Bulk Reed Supply Rox 0.8 with GFO... the tanks been up for two years with a few moves and a recharge of Indo Pacific Reef Farms kits ... I had two sand sifting gobs that lasted a good year before dying with the last move... fell off with feedings because of business travel . . . since then, I have had trouble keeping fish in there and always concerned with the bio load, corals have lost color etc... I have been trying to use Bio enzymes but I am not sure what the community thinks about that, could these cause fungal infections? Appreciate your thoughts . . .

Sounds like you may have a couple issues here. First, I'd say your tank is actually somewhat nutrient starved. Without consistent food inputs your pods, beneficial bacteria, and other critters have waned overtime. This prevented your clowns from foraging all the time and made your aquarium less stable. Clowns are actually pretty active fish and consequently require higher metabolic (food) requirements. Again, not having consistent access to food caused them to become stressed and this allowed them to become more susceptible to disease. My advice would be to start feeding smaller portions more frequently and purchase a reliable autofeeder for when you're away. Also, you may also be having problems with oxygen saturation. My old nanocube developed this oily surface scum; which inhibited gas exchange. I also noticed that my fish would appear pale and breath heavily for about an hour or two after the lights came on- symptoms of anoxia. A simple airstone resolved both issues. The Bio-enzymes wouldn't cause infections in fish. A lot of those products tend to be mostly water with little or no active ingredients. Swapping out a few pieces of your liverock for new high quality stuff would be much more beneficial.

I would check for ammonia just in case.
Maybe with the lack of feeding the bio-filter died back and now the introduction of fish has caused a spike in ammonia.

Back