Planning new tank?

MAReefer1

lol, I have a tank, sorta
Im planning on getting a new tank and really taking my time to plan this one. Acrylic tank, 24" X 24" X 12" ( maybe from Gustavo)... 30 gallons.
I was thinking 1X 175MH watt would do fine for SPS? I might go just softie tank ( zoas&ricordia), Idk...Overflow in back middle, with dual return. Sump with... whats a good skimmer for less than or 150 dollars... maybe another coralife 65?
Im planning on building a stand. Is there a pre-maid stand for the same blueprint? All I can think of now for fish is maybe a couple of chromis? Maybe a clown pair? Suggestions? Eventually once this is set up, Im going to tear down my 55... Im just not happy with the shape of this tank, way too narrow IMO. Im taking this real slow...planning on having it up in 6 months roughly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Donal.

Last edited:
yes... I like that shape alot, Im just not happy with the shape of my 55 gallon.

I might possibly go 36'' X 36'' X 12''

I do know that I want a shallow square tank.

I am thinking of doing something very similar for my next tank, only problem is that as long as I'm at school I can't have a tank larger than 20g. So I think I will take a 20h lie it on it's back, un-silicone the top and after cutting it resilicone it to the back. or I may just give gustavo a pm.

I am thinking of doing something very similar for my next tank, only problem is that as long as I'm at school I can't have a tank larger than 20g. So I think I will take a 20h lie it on it's back, un-silicone the top and after cutting it resilicone it to the back. or I may just give gustavo a pm.

we can only have 10 gal tanks here at school. its why i do everything HOB style.

i love tanks sized like that. im doing a 36x36x24 with a center overflow. i think you get a lot more depth from the tank. and i think it would look good with the rock scaped in the middle so the fish can swim all the way around. as for fish i like things that interact with others. i have clowns. my pistol shrimp and goby are cool to watch.

Remember, if you are going to have one built, you don't need to stick to traditional sizes. Why not do something like 36x36x18?

Remember, if you are going to have one built, you don't need to stick to traditional sizes. Why not do something like 36x36x18?
I could do that, but I like the shallow look.
Tank3.jpg

8-24Tank016.jpg

Heres a 26 x 26 x 16

01.01.2007-1.jpg

I like this one too.

Last edited:
I think 24x24 would be a really great size. I'd go to 16" height though. By the time you put sand and rock in it, 12" doesn't give you any room for growth.

I think a single 250 would be my choice for that tank.

If you go to 36x36 you'll need at least two lights, and that takes up a much bigger chunk of floor.

Check out prance1520's tank halfway down.

48"x30"x16" 100 gallon rimless w/ starphire glass.

It is a really nice looking tank with the rimless and open top with a shallow tank. His aquascaping needs some help but the tank is nice and probably what you are looking for.

I think 24x24 would be a really great size. I'd go to 16" height though. By the time you put sand and rock in it, 12" doesn't give you any room for growth.

I think a single 250 would be my choice for that tank.

If you go to 36x36 you'll need at least two lights, and that takes up a much bigger chunk of floor.
You right, I probably will go 16''... 12'' is toooo shallow.

I have the aquaspacelight 2X250, is there any way I could gut that thing out and put a single pendent together, or would I be better of buying another light?

Back