tank planning

all i know is the bigger the drain the better. On a 180, I would use at least a 2" drain. Maybe even 3", as for a kit, im not to sure

If you are concerned about loss of space, have you considered a external glass overflow siliconed to the back?

Personally, i don't like alot of flow through my sump
.....find a overflow solution that can handle 600gph max and call it done. Run 300 to 400gph and it won't be too noisy

400 gph for a 180 tank? isnt that too little?

Too little? You won't gain anything from having water move up and down as fast as possible. Most of it will go right past the skimmer.
I think 400 is good enough.

Last edited:
I would go with the larger overflow then. FWIW, the glass-holes boxes aren't completely silent. Since you're in the planning stages, have you considered running a Bean system. If space inside the tank is a concern for you, you can add a smaller internal weir and a larger external one.

hmmm... i thought about an external overflow but then i would have to get the glass cut and such... too much work!

Doing an external is actually not so bad, have the glass cut and silicone together. Pretty straight forward really.

I used to run a iwaki MD70 on my 57G with a single overflow and herbie drain. Lots of flow yes, but it didn't cause any problems :)

When we talk about slow flow rates through sumps, it's usually with the assumption that the flow in the display will be supplemented with in tank circulation (ie tunzes, vortec, or other in tank pumps).

the external has 2x 1.25". the return is going to be 2x 3/4". i like the iwaki 70 b/c I can also build an a manifold for carbon/gfo + refugium flow.

400 gph for a 180 tank? isnt that too little?

400gph is a little on the light side IMO. I'd want at least 550 gph with a 180 gallon. The recommendation from 75% of the so called experts is for 3-5x through the sump for go contact time with the skimmer and powerheads in the tank for flow. I have a MP40 for flow in the tank. I have a 60 gallon cube and only run a Eheim Compact+ 2000 (265-528gph) turned down a little so with head pressure I'm probably at about 180 gph which is 3x. It's a great pump with a flow adjustment right on the side. Been running several years with no issues.

I reccomend a Eheim Compact+ 5000 (660-1320 gph) for your 180 and you can adjust the flow for where ever you want it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Co...ds_Compact_Pumps-Eheim-EH11036-FIPHCP-vi.html

Back