Planning a new tank, size recommendations?

LockeOak

Non-member
Hello everyone, since I'll be moving in August it's a great opportunity to start a new tank. I started in this hobby with a 10G nano due to limits on space and funding, and now of course I've caught the bug and want a bigger setup. One of the first things to decide, of course, is what size tank. I plan on a mixed reef. I was thinking something in the 50-65G range, using a standard AGA tank. What's the largest tank that could be considered "reasonably mobile"? By reasonably mobile I mean that it can be broken down and moved across town by 1-2 people (no forklifts!) :) I'm still a student and may have to move periodically. Where do you reach the point where increasing the tank size really begins to quickly increase costs system-wide (lights, rock, pumps, salt, etc.) Any general recommendations would be appreciated.

Hello everyone, since I'll be moving in August it's a great opportunity to start a new tank. I started in this hobby with a 10G nano due to limits on space and funding, and now of course I've caught the bug and want a bigger setup. One of the first things to decide, of course, is what size tank. I plan on a mixed reef. I was thinking something in the 50-65G range, using a standard AGA tank. What's the largest tank that could be considered "reasonably mobile"? By reasonably mobile I mean that it can be broken down and moved across town by 1-2 people (no forklifts!) :) I'm still a student and may have to move periodically. Where do you reach the point where increasing the tank size really begins to quickly increase costs system-wide (lights, rock, pumps, salt, etc.) Any general recommendations would be appreciated.

Just about any upgrade costs $$$$. I am moving from a 55 to a 90 with the 55 being my sump.

I know that increasing tank size increases upkeep costs, I'm just curious if there's a point where you begin to see diminishing returns.

I have moved a 55g-it was established approx.6 years?? Moved the whole thing in one trip-tank, stand and canopy...oh and of course 75# of LR, LS, some pepp's and a perc...water included! Then ummm someone here was selling a 90g(Mr.Mota) and it was time for an upgrade-gorgeous custom stand and canopy-and moved that as well all in one trip!! Tank, stand, canopy, sump-it's approx. the size of a full size bed upright against the wall....I have moved a lot in my life-good luck with the upgrade..IMO i'd get the 90g(it's all expensive-and therre is always the itch to upgrade...)

Depending on the complexity of the system you want, I'd think that in that range the larger the better.

I say that because all the equipment you'd be buying would basically be the same, by that I mean, the protien skimmer for example, You would buying a skimmer rated for whatever number of gallons but the ratings are just a guess or guideline. Say you go with a 70G tank or a 50G tank. Either way your looking at pretty much the same skimmers. Going with a better skimmer and the bigger tank might cost a little more but you'll likely be happier in the end because you won't be upgrading everything you've already bought.

To put it another way, IME, when you look at the major investments in set up, with a lot of things you have to spend a basic amount to get the smallest size, but it doesn't cost that much to go up in size on the same equipment. Examples being; skimmers, Ca reactors, lighting, RODI......

TANK COICES....
totally different line of thought here, just some suggestions based on exp and personal preference;

*Tall tanks mean you need a lot more light and you get less gas exchange area on the surface
*Wide/shallow tanks make the most of your lighting, and wide tanks make for very cool "depth" in the aquascaping/viewing of the tank
*Don't forget, the cost of the tank itself is a fraction of the overall system. $50-100 more spent to get the tank size/shape you really want is IMO way worth it in the long run.

For an off the shelf tank, I'd suggest looking at 50G and 58G sizes (both are 36"x18" footprint). The centerbraces on AGA tanks bother me. I know that at least older oceanic 58G tanks don't have a centerbrace. I'm not sure on the newer oceanic tanks (they are the same company now, but different lines of tanks, used to be different companies). Also glass cages will make you whatever design you want.

That said, take your time and choose your equipment carefully and with good advice. You can set up any size tank right. Just make a good plan before beginning to drop the $. One of the biggest and most expensive mistakes most people make is to buy cheaper or undersized equipment in the beginning, only to have to replace with the better one later.

Hope this is helpful
jk

Oh yea,

No tank is easy to move without breaking it down.

If you hope to be able to move tank with say, 1/3 of of it filled, you might be better off with an acrylic tank since it might take eneven pressures and stress better than a glass tank.

Overall though, moving an established reef tank is not a simple process to say the least.

Yeah, I can see your point in that the equipment for, say, a 50G and a 90G are mostly interchangeable. I will look into non-AGA options for a tank, I'm less concerned about the cost of the actual tank than other equipment. When I say moving a tank, I don't necessarily mean filled with water, I wouldn't even move my 10G with water in it, too much chance of it stress fracturing. That's too scary for me. My strategy would be to move the livestock to a lab tank (I'm going to be pushing to have a bit of space in the lab for a tank or two, "it's for research, honest!" :)), drain the tank, remove the LR and LS, move everything, rebuild, wait through minicycle, move in livestock. I just want equipment that is physically moveable by 1-2 people without water. As I'm going to be in school for 5-6 years, I can't imagine I'm going to be in one place for that long, so I'm planning for contingencies.

I just got 2 tanks, both had 1 in water in them and sand,, 40 g and 55 gal..
The 55 gal was pretty heavy, if you are talking really empty I am sure you could go bigger. You have the time go to a LFS and look at the sizes, gals when empty and just move it a bit to give you a feel for the weight as well as look at design of tank.. Then theres the option of getting used if you dont mind cleanup.. good luck..

If you honestly expect to move a couple times, I'd stick with a 50/58/65g tank (all 36x18", various heights). That'll be enough of a chore to move. A 4 foot tank is a lot harder IMO.

If you probably won't move, but there's always the chance you might have to, then maybe a 4-footer wouldn't be so bad.

Back