Power Outages

newenglandreef

Non-member
I know that when there's a power outage, it's hard to get online. But I see how many people lost tanks this week--a lot of long timers. I was checking this site pretty regularly and never lost power during the storm-- I've got a 4000W generator that was never used during the storm. PLEASE--if you lose power, post (or have someone post) that you've lost power and ask for help. I would have been happy to have lent out my generator. It just sat on my porch while all these tanks died.

Same here I almost never loose power. my smell genny sat under my house the whole storm. It would Probably only power a heater,the return pump and maybe some T5's but still would of been better to see it save a tank then to read about said tank crashing the day after the storm...

Last edited:
Sadly,same here.
We made it through without losing power.I kept checking Sat. if somebody in my general area needed a generator.
I have 2 small 900 watt 2 strokes,one would easily keep a heater going and even cirulation pumps or power heads.
I've run my genx40 return pump and a 300 watt heater,as well as the skimmer.
It would have been tough to drive too far,even with a 4x4.We also had a driving ban till 4 pm Sat. and the back roads were rough.
Even have a 1200 watt max inverter in my garage,

Last edited:
Same here...7 years ago I purchased a generator (in case of an emergency for my tank although that was not what I told my wife) and I have NEVER had to use.it..Woops..I should not have said that!!!!!
I would gladly lend it out if needed in an emergency
I think there should be a Forum for Emergency help..most people could access it from a cell phone nowadays.

I'm almost thinking there could be a private phone # list compiled of folks that are willing to lend out generators in case of emergency.
But then somebody would need to be entrusted with this list and make their number or a number available.
As most folks now a days have cell phones.
List could be checked for folks near the effected area and numbers be given to the person in need.
Perhaps the emergency number could be sent out on the membership cards.
Sorry,just trouble shooting.:rolleyes:

I posted about this the other night, I guess there is a thread, but I dont think that is good enough, or easy enough. Maybe people who are willing could send their name, add, and tel number to a club officer and the member in need could contact them and the connection made. I know when I post a question and is doesnt get answered in 2min I get pissed. I couldnt imagine my tank dying and no one responding. Like I said in my other post I dont think I would give my generator to just anyone one here, but I have been around long enough to have an idea who some people are, and wouldnt have an issue letting some use it.

In my area it wouldn't have made bit of difference. No power or communications, let alone the ability to get from one place to another. the local gas stations also ran out of gas, that is the ones that had generators. They sent the plows home as there was no gas and many roads were left un plowed or were blocked by fallen trees

While you might have been able to get someone a street or two away going any further was in many case not possible.

I drove under a lot of fallen trees plowing but sometime it was impossible. At what point are you asking too much of someone else to save your tank
600615_511836052202355_1229874804_n.jpg

307802_511859375533356_384528328_n.jpg

I'll say that most of those I've seen have lost tanks I would have lent it to in a second. I think I'd lend it to just about any paid member with a copy of their license and a written agreement.

Winter's long from over, I'm happy to hand my cell off to anyone who wants to organize this for the next round.

It's so hard to maintain a reef, put so much work into it and takes so long to grow it out--that to see all these beautiful tanks dead within 72 hours is... well, depressing.

I posted about this the other night, I guess there is a thread, but I dont think that is good enough, or easy enough. Maybe people who are willing could send their name, add, and tel number to a club officer and the member in need could contact them and the connection made. I know when I post a question and is doesnt get answered in 2min I get pissed. I couldnt imagine my tank dying and no one responding. Like I said in my other post I dont think I would give my generator to just anyone one here, but I have been around long enough to have an idea who some people are, and wouldnt have an issue letting some use it.

man if i lost power you'd be the first i run to derek lol... even if you have to tear down your rock work to fit all my corals in it... but better believe i will be sleeping on your couch with one eye open hahahaha jk

View attachment 85103

Why, in the world, would they run power lines through a thick forest like that at below-tree level?

Because that is the road

Living in the NE and having a reef tank your system should include as standard equipment a backup system. People waste more money on reef tanks than it would cost them for the backup system. But like many posts I have never lost power before or for that long. This happens every few years. The ice storm in 2008 made this look tame with the amount of tanks lost back then.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree. I can say that I am happy to help out someone in need as well so consider me in if we can arrange something thats in everyones best interest. I only have a cheapo 5500/6500 genny, and while not the highest quality piece of equipment it will run a full reef tank and a few lights maybe a small space heater for a few hours/days.... As long as I was confident that I was in the clear I would be happy to let a club member, especially the veteran reefers that were left in unfortunate situations use my genny to get them through.

Good thing those wires were there to keep the tree from falling.:p
That's why I mentioned close by my area before I could help.It would be foolish to risk your life to keep a reef tank going.

Because that is the road

Living in the NE and having a reef tank your system should include as standard equipment a backup system. People waste more money on reef tanks than it would cost them for the backup system. But like many posts I have never lost power before or for that long. This happens every few years. The ice storm in 2008 made this look tame with the amount of tanks lost back then.

You were literally trapped.

man if i lost power you'd be the first i run to derek lol... even if you have to tear down your rock work to fit all my corals in it... but better believe i will be sleeping on your couch with one eye open hahahaha jk

Your stuff is always welcome in my tank. You will have to lower yourself to LEDS though.LOL

Because that is the road

I know I never understood this. I was bored today and was walking thru Harbor freight tools. I know they are crap, but for $125 for a small generator?? If you use it once and toss it oh well.

Derek, sad part is its the price of a vortech battery back up, and it will probably run the better part of an entire system.......

Harbor Freight all the way!!! All paid for and being delivered to the store in Fall River. Even if I never use it I can consider it a $500 insurance policy. Should be in by the end of the month, well hopefully. Bought my dad one too!

Back