Qt with treated tap water?

Abrooks12376

Non-member
Any one see any problem with sticking my new watchman goby in a 10 gal qt with mixed tap water for a couple weeks? Chunk of lr on a sand pile, heater, powerhead. Should I run carbon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I would say yes on carbon because of the ammonia build up. Running carbon will help reduce the build up.

As far as I can see if it is a qt... I don’t see why not running it on treated water would be bad. Others can chime in if I am completely wrong but any effects we avoid from tap are more harmful to algae blooms and corals (phosphates, copper, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to throw a baseball size chunk of live rock in there. The carbon was mainly to catch any crap in tap water that shouldn't be there. It's for observation m, treatment if need be.. goby looks great, I'm just not chancing him in the mixed reef.

I can't see why not. People have full blown tap reefs, I'm sure your goby won't mind phosphates and dissolved solids.

Tap water goby!
9da904314b60de8558f2fd9c1dbf2148.jpg

I use the (dirty) water change water from my main tank in my QT. That way your new creatures can get acclimated to their new home, along with providing the bacteria required for denitrofication. That being said, tap water shouldn't be a problem. Just double check that your tap water treatment works on Chloramine too.

Back