Rant: Why I hate heaters

emabie

Non-member
So 2 Saturdays ago when it was cold I noticed my tank temp dropped to 74deg. I know 74 is not too low but my temp is stable to +- 2 almost all the time with multiple heaters controlled by an AC2. So to see 74 drew my attention.

I went down to the sump to find that one of the heaters had died. AGAIN! It was a finnex titanium heater element. The kind that has no built in thermostat or fancy electronics and is supposed to be bullet proof. All my heaters are hooked up to the AC2 by relays that are controlled by the x10 home modules. This helps keep the modules from overloading compared to plugging the heaters directly into the modules. Each heater has it's own powersupply, X10 module and it's own 120v relay.

So a quick trip to petco to buy (2) 300w standard glass heaters and I drop em into the sump and get em hooked up to the AC2. Tank starts to come up to temp and thats good cause it's a real cold weekend forecast.

Sunday morning I wake up and find that for some reason the breaker in the fish room has tripped. I find this odd but perhaps the extra heater is pulling too much juice. I took a look around and did not see anything that would cause the issue so I turned it back on and fired up everything. The breaker was fine and everything looked normal. I could not figure out why it tripped the night before. The kids were helping clean up and perhaps they plugged the vacuum into the one plug in the other room that shares the same circuit???

Now all my corals were not looking happy at all, some new softies I had bought a few days before that had been looking great refused to open. Perhaps having no flow for the time the breaker was off made em mad. Even several days after they still won't open and did not look good.

All my water parameters looked fine. Temp, PH orp were all stable. What was going on?

after a few days and still unhappy corals I finally started investigating more and found that one of the new heaters I added had cracked and was leaching copper, stray current and who knows what else into the water. The heater was in my 300g closed sump so I had to pull it out to check it. When I did I could see a chunk of glass missing and the copper contacts all corroded.

I found out what had tripped the breaker, funny thing is when I put it back on it did not trip it again.

So now several large water changes, 200g + wasted salt water, carbon reactor fired up and a week later stuff is opening up again.

Why is it no one can make a heater that will last???? I have gone though more heaters than anything else. all brands and types. So far titanium elements are the most reliable but I have killed a number of them as well. Finnex, Won Brothers, Petco brand, Fluvel you name it they are the number one cause of disaster in my tanks!

ok end of my rant on heaters!

Attachments

• IMG00129.jpg
    IMG00129.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 321
One more pic of the culprit.

You can see the thermostats copper contacts have completely corroded releasing nasty copper into my tank. sorry bout the pics they are from my phone before I returned the thing to petco

Attachments

• IMG00131.jpg
    IMG00131.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 316
Maybe you aren't running a high enough wattage and there is too much of a temperature differential so they stay on too much? That is the only thing I can think of that will kill heaters fast, is keeping them on too long and not letting them cycle enough.

Maybe you aren't running a high enough wattage and there is too much of a temperature differential so they stay on too much? That is the only thing I can think of that will kill heaters fast, is keeping them on too long and not letting them cycle enough.

I don't think thats it. They don't come on during the day for the most part once the lighting is on.

I run several the smallest one is 300w and I have had larger, 800w ones die. I can track the amount of time they are on via the AC2 and they are not on that long and have a minimum cycle time of 5 minutes off before they come on again. The cycle time is programed in and if they were not AC2 controlled the cycle time would be 0 from the manufacturer.

I have definitely had my share of PITA heater problems.

If you can believe it, I run 2 very old aquanetics 'fire plug' inline heaters. I had one sold to me used, for 70 bucks...it was a 1000W. It was manufactured in 1998 and has kept my reef stable for over 2.5 years. I added the second one, and they will be on an external DC4 on my ACIII one of these days, when I get it hooked back up.

30 dollar heaters are junk, they have progressively gotten worse over the years. they will eventually fry out or worse.

maybe now you'll think again about getting a titanium heater and controller. its the best way to control your temp.

maybe now you'll think again about getting a titanium heater and controller. its the best way to control your temp.

Someone clearly did not read the whole story..

You missed this part:

I went down to the sump to find that one of the heaters had died. AGAIN! It was a finnex titanium heater element. The kind that has no built in thermostat or fancy electronics and is supposed to be bullet proof. All my heaters are hooked up to the AC2 by relays that are controlled by the x10 home modules. This helps keep the modules from overloading compared to plugging the heaters directly into the modules. Each heater has it's own powersupply, X10 module and it's own 120v relay.

So a quick trip to petco to buy (2) 300w standard glass heaters and I drop em into the sump and get em hooked up to the AC2. Tank starts to come up to temp and thats good cause it's a real cold weekend forecast.

Sorry to hear about you troubles. I lost a tank that way earlier this year. My system was only a 30g with 20g sump so when the heater went it poisoned everything.

The main problem is the Walmart culture. We want stuff but we don't want to pay for it. So we get cheap stuff that works for awhile and then falls apart. There are heater systems out there that will do what we want and last for years in hard service, but they aren't cheap. These people make great equipment, but the price tag isn't for the faint of wallet. The plus side is that it truely is professional grade stuff so you should only have to buy it once.

http://www.watlow.com/

30 dollar heaters are junk, they have progressively gotten worse over the years. they will eventually fry out or worse.

To set the record straight the only reason I got the petco heaters was to make due until I can replace yet another titanium heater and it was a titanium heater that died that cause me to have to go to petco in the first place, a finnex to boot!

I have been using heaters on controllers for years first Ranco then on Aqua Controllers.

I may also mention I do have one Ranco and one finnex controller that are dead, still have em from about 3 years ago before the AC. They don't seem to make em like they used to.

Since I have gone to controllers and multiple small heaters I have not had a single over heat issue. Usually it's a sight under temp problem. Then I go down and replace the dead heater. This time however it caused more issues.

Sorry to hear about you troubles. I lost a tank that way earlier this year. My system was only a 30g with 20g sump so when the heater went it poisoned everything.

The main problem is the Walmart culture. We want stuff but we don't want to pay for it. So we get cheap stuff that works for awhile and then falls apart. There are heater systems out there that will do what we want and last for years in hard service, but they aren't cheap. These people make great equipment, but the price tag isn't for the faint of wallet. The plus side is that it truely is professional grade stuff so you should only have to buy it once.

http://www.watlow.com/

What series of heater did you get from them? They have a vast array of productsthat have some very tight specs. Do you know of a retailer?

Sorry hope everything works out.
This is why I like my heater in the tank. I like to keep my eyes on it at all times.

Is your power supply pretty stable. If the circuit is near it's max and variable it could be damaging the circuitry? I don't know. It just seems like you've cooked quite a few heaters.

Anyone else? I do agree, however, that heaters have not evolved much in the last twenty years.

Let me know when you find a good heater, so I can go buy the same one! :)

Ebo Jagar (Eheim) heaters are the best out there ;) . They of course need an external controller though, like a reefkeeper or aquacontroller.

Is your power supply pretty stable. If the circuit is near it's max and variable it could be damaging the circuitry? I don't know. It just seems like you've cooked quite a few heaters.

Anyone else? I do agree, however, that heaters have not evolved much in the last twenty years.

Let me know when you find a good heater, so I can go buy the same one! :)

I monitor the line voltage and Hz and it's very stable. I have a computer plugged in to run the AC2 and it has never had issues. I think I just have bad luck with heaters!!

I think I will try investing in some high quality titanium elements, perhaps I will go to higher wattage ones so they have to work less. I just worry about over heat issues then but thats not been a problem for a long time.

I generally think overheat is worse than under heat. If a heater goes out I can catch it before the temp drops below 74 when my email alerts go off. Overheat can raise up real fast if one or 2 large heaters gets stuck on.

Ebo Jagar (Eheim) heaters are the best out there ;) . They of course need an external controller though, like a reefkeeper or aquacontroller.

I have the AC2 doing a great job of controlling things. It just can't fix when elements die!

I may look into the Ebo Jagar line.

Anyone else use em?

Last edited:
Here is my temp graph for the last month, You can see my system usually has a very stable temp. +_2 deg. It's usually even better than that but I have been doing a ton of plumbing updates and maintenance but still not bad.

There is missing data point from Nov 2nd to Nov 14th as I tried out another program to monitor the tank and aquanotes was turned off. The controller was on and functioning just no data points.

Also the PH Probe needs replacing, my PH is about 8.2

You can see a slight downward trend for a day or so, thats where the first heater died and my secondary was not quite keeping up. Nothing major just down to about 74deg.

The giant drop is from when the breaker tripped overnight and all the heaters and return pump were off.

Attachments

• graph_1_10_13_25.jpg
    graph_1_10_13_25.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 203
Sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner. Wattlow makes excellent equipment but it really is geared to the professional market when cost isn't as much of a factor. I use their stuff in that manner and not on my tanks simply for that reason. You can be looking at a some serious $$$ after buying the elements and the controller. On the plus side it will probably last longer than the tank. If I were to use one I'd go with either one of the ceramic or stainless steel designed for harsh environment.

That said I'm working on a system that is similar to ones poeple here have made by tapping off their home heating system. It involves a bucket or barrel (depending on the size of the tank), insulation, Stealth heaters, tubing, pump, and controller. It works by keeping fresh water in the barrel at around 85 degrees. Tank water is pumped through 1/2" plastic tubing that is coiled in the barrel. The pump is turned on by both a timer and a temp controller. The reason is to avoid letting the water in the tubing stand for too long allowing it to go hypoxic. Running for 15 - 30 seconds once an hour should be enough. The advantage of this system is that if a heater blows up it can't poison or pass electricity to the tank water and that you can still use cheapo heaters. The disadvantage is the real estate the bucket or barrel takes up.

Back