Reefer FW need help!!

inkslinger

Non-member
I know a lot of Reefer's use large pump's , I myself is doing a FW tank an redid my system . I have a 110g tank 60x18x24 , My first change was the system line , I change from 3/4inch to 1inch my 1inch intake goes down to a Blue Line 55 HD 1100gph pump from the pump I split it into 2 lines with a Ball Valve and a Wye,
1. goes to my Nu-Clear filters 533-547 , My other line goes to a Mazzie loop {for co2}.
They both merge back together with a Wye , Ball Valve and another Wye into 2 return lines back into the tank.
My water temp stays at 88F-90F all the time? Is this cause by back pressure and water friction? Should I stay with only 1 return and get rid of the bottle neck at the end and some elbows?
I would really like your salt reefers input on this High Pressure Pump job?
Will add more pic's of my setup tonight Thanks.

:confused:

My intake runs a long the cabinet an takes a couple of turns with elbow's to the pump.
From the pump I have a union , ball valve, elbow,Wye to 2 legs 1. Filter's , 2. Mazzie.
They return back together to a Wye,ball valve,Wye then 2 returns.

Should I separate the returns and do a way with the bottle neck?
Or just use 1 return for a 60x18x24 tank?
I am going to change the intake with a hose an go straight to the pump {with a hose barb ball valve}

I just want to get the temp in tank down from being 90F all day long?

:mad:

Just need help on High Flow rate? Why am I getting a lot of heat from? Is my pump to much ?
I'm still planning on changing over to Hose line to get rid of some elbows and to separate my bottle neck and have to returns by them self ?
That I think should reduce the heat an will probably add more flow.

I wish I could offer you some advice, but your setup is alittle different than what is used in a ReefTank. There are some FW guys/Gals on here so maybe they could chime in. I dont think that pump alone would raise the temp to 90deg.

GoodLuck

First of all you are not flooding your intake on the pump you return looks to be larger than you intake. You also have a excessive plumbing. You could achieve it with a fraction of the elbows and lose the head height you added

More info is need as how is the pump feed just and overflow? Bulkhead in the tank? is it pulling from an additional filter?

Spaflex is your friend you need to loose about 80% of those elbows each one adds a foot of head height

You have a lot going on there and it is pretty hard to see what is going on

I have a 1 inch intake screen and you can see my return , My bottle neck is before the returns . I'm using 3/4in Y split Loc-Line for my returns.

Are those your pump feeds? If so you basically have a closed loop but you are still not flooding you intake on your pump. It is effectively a 1" intake going to a one in return.

Your return is from the pump back to the tank, so anything in that line is your return.

How have you determined the heat if from the pump? Chances are you have too much pump.

Have you tried a fan to cool the tank, it will work but kinda counter productive.

Look at this thread it has charts in regard to friction and actual pipe size

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?10444-Reef-Hydraulics-amp-Fluid-Mechanics

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?10444-Reef-Hydraulics-amp-Fluid-Mechanics/page2

I wish Matt L's presentation was still available but it sadly it is not

Last edited:
Are those your pump feeds? If so you basically have a closed loop but you are still not flooding you intake on your pump. It is effectively a 1" intake going to a one in return.

Your return is from the pump back to the tank, so anything in that line is your return.

How have you determined the heat if from the pump? Chances are you have too much pump.

Have you tried a fan to cool the tank, it will work but kinda counter productive.

Look at this thread it has charts in regard to friction and actual pipe size

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?10444-Reef-Hydraulics-amp-Fluid-Mechanics

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?10444-Reef-Hydraulics-amp-Fluid-Mechanics/page2

I wish Matt L's presentation was still available but it sadly it is not

Yes I only have one 1inch return {first pic} and the 2 pipe are my returns.
I do have a bottle neck before the return, Witch I'm planning on splitting into 2 separate returns . Bottle Neck = Wye-Ball Valve-Wye = >--<

delta;944627 Chances are you have too much pump. [/QUOTE said:
How big of a pump should I be looking for a tank 110g 60x18x24
Nu-Clear filters 533 an 547
Mazzie loop for co2

Even if I change {Drop down pump size} pump. What would be a good size for the filters
The co2 can be change over to it's own loop.
Or just change the size of the intake 1.25 or 1.50 ? Where can I find reducers to go back into a 1 inch intake on the pump? I would need a fitting to go into the 1 inch union I have on the pump now? I found bigger intake screens T's an elbows like I have now but hose and a fitting to go back to a 1 inch union I can't find yet?

Will I finely got done redoing my line system all I left wast the elbow with the Wye after the pump. I switch over my plumbing over to braided hose and separated the bottle neck I had after the filters and mazzie and 2.5 hours later a steady 82.2F !!!!!!!!!! I drop 8F by separating the bottle neck.

I will be glad when I wake up in the morning an it stays at 82F , It's a lot better then 90F
I did change my 1x6 intake to 1x3 intake an only one 1" braided hose with a barb ball valve to the pump.

yeah i dont think you were supplying the pump with enough water ie. flodding the intake.........those big external pumps are water cooled and if they dont have enough water going in the motor will heat up and basically send hotter water back to the tank, this will keep happening until the pump blows or your tank boils :)

.....spa flex is definitly your friend......and down the road i would have the mazzei loop run on a smaller dedicated pump

Last edited:
Back