Refinishing Floor

Furnman

Non-member
I need to refinish some of the wood flooring outside adjacent to the room where I have my tank. I worried about the fumes from the stain and lacquer and whether or not they could cause a problem for the tank. Has anyone had experience with this?

I need to refinish some of the wood flooring outside adjacent to the room where I have my tank. I worried about the fumes from the stain and lacquer and whether or not they could cause a problem for the tank. Has anyone had experience with this?

Not sure the answer to that but, are you gonna tape off the doorway into the other room with Plastic? That could help eliminate or minimze the fumes.

I'd cover the tank if you don't have a full canopy.

We had some floors upstairs done a couple months ago. The workers were really good about taping off the doors etc, but there was still some vapors and dust that drifted downstairs to where the tank is. It smelled like something was burning for a few days until the metal halides burned the residue off (my MH pendants sit on top of my canopy so they're exposed). Other than that, I didn't see any effect on the tank.

I had my entire house done and the only thing that didn't get moved was the fishtank (Softy tank). I covered the tank with plastic and taped it so that it was sealed in the morning before they came over. Remeber, lights will cause over heating if under a cover so shut them off. When they left they called me and I removed the plastic and turned the lights back on. I did this for four days.:) You should be fine. Good luck.

I'll add to also shut the skimmer off/or submerge the air line, depending on what type of skimmer you have, if it is going to be sucking vapors.

Good point about the skimmer intake; I didn't worry about mine because I run a basement sump.

Back