Rowaphos usage

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
How many of you guys are running rowaphos? I've reaad alot of bad stuff about this product. A lot to do with sps colony suddenly goes stn or rtn.
Any experience?

Like any other product that you introduce into your tank, it is important to test before, during, and after treatment, Rowaphos tends to drop alkalinity sometimes by alot. If you are not on top of it you will have problems.
I hate reading all these people (not you, I mean RC) that have to blame thier failure on a product. Instead of looking at thier sloppy reefkeeping for a possible solution.

Yes, I'm aware of the alk drop if you put in alot in your tank. And I'm aware that this thing really takes out phosphate quick so that might shock the corals.
I'm only using 1tablespoon. I havent notice any alk drop.

I've gotta second what marc said.

(I also have to admit to my own "sloppy reefkeeping for a possible solution." I should have tested daily not after 3-4 days)

I reccently added a small DIY phosphate remover reactor (I used Phosban, but I think it's pretty much the same). I used about 3/4 of the reccomended dose in a slow flowing reverse flow container. My alk (that has always run high) dropped a lot quickly and I started having all sorts of small problems with the tank. Nothing catostrophic but things clearly got thrown out of balance a bit. I don't have much sps and no acros, I suspect that if I was keeping a bunch of acros that they would have suffered noticably?.

Use caution with phosphate removers, most likely they can be very useful but use caution.

Back