Rowaphos dropping my PH & Alk

DEIGNAN14

BRS Member
Anyone have any experience running Rowaphos or GFO in a reactor without dropping your PH/Alk?

I followed dosing instruction I found online but after running ~380 grams in a fluidized reactor for less than 6-7 hours on a 115 gallon system, my PH and Alk dropped dramatically.

Did I just use way too much media or is this going to be an issue I need to compensate for regardless of the dosage?

Thanks in advance!

You mention fluidized tractor. GFO should NEVER be tumbled!!! Just a slow flow through, very slow to start. No tumbling. The top layer can roll a bit but it should not be tumbling the whole column. The media can break up. I agree on the sketchiness of this stuff. Not to mention the expense!!! I would just go with classic maintenance techniques. Sandbed cleanings with water changes, mechanical filtration changeouts frequently, heavy skimming, turkeybasting rock often and changing mechanical filter afterward...

Last edited:
Yeah, it was just they very top that was tumbling slightly. I think it was just too heavy of a dose. Thank you!

Back