salt change

mcf6188

Non-member
hi i am using the instant ocean the orange bag. i been using for 2 years now. i would like to go with red sea looking for advise thanks

My advice would be that it is pointless. Many, many reefers use IO and have great results.

I have used both and there really isn't any meaningful difference other than Red Sea is a lot more expensive and a lot more of a pain to mix. And you do need to follow Red Sea's directions so all of the macro elements you are paying for don't fall out of solution.

I did this once many years ago. From regular Io to red Sea pro. I use the Red Sea Pro for two buckets before I went back.

Red Sea is annoying to mix because alkalinity and calcium are so elevated it usually just precipitates out before it even gets to your tank. they tell you to mix it a certain way so that doesn't happen but it mostly does anyways.
I'm of the mind set now that anything much above natural search water level is pointless.

A well stocked aquarium can strip the alk from your water in a day or 2. So you are going to need to dose regardless. why pay more for something that's going to precipitate out and not be available for the organisms in your tank?

Last edited:
I use Red Sea no doubt elements needed are higher but you could use IO with additives as many do, most people supplement anyway. Why its anymore difficult to mix I have no idea.

Jim

Well try it if you want to. It won't hurt anything

As far as more difficult to mix...it's not more physically challenging or anything. But because of the extremely elevated levels of alk and ca it can begin to precipitate while mixing. If you look one can find many threads about red sea salt clouding while mixing on the national forums.which prompted red sea to release a video on how to properly mix their salt.

It seems that 12.7 dKH alk (which is what they say it mixes at with 35ppt) is a bit silly. Who keeps a tank at that?

I switched over to Red Sea coral pro for one bucket, it's almost gone now and will be going back to Reef Crystals. I dose 2 part and have my dosing pretty dialed in so there's no advantage to starting with high Ca/ Alk, besides i haven't noticed any other benefits so it's really not worth it in my opinion.

I use Red Sea pro and love it. Only time I've seen precipitation is it's mixed too long. I mix it for 2 hours and it's crystal clear and good to go.

I've been buying pre mixed salt from either LFS (red sea pro I believe) or Petco (Imagitarium), and was doing 20% water changes monthly.

About a month ago, I bought a 10kg bucket of Aquaforest PROBIOTIC for ~$50 It is the same as their "Reef Salt", but with some extras (amino acids, probiotic bacteria). This makes about 65 gallons @ 33ppt according to the box. This is enough for 4 rounds of W/C. I started doing weekly 10% w/c - 3 gallons in my nano, 12 gallons in my bigger tank.

This coming weekend will be my 4th water change using this batch of Aquaforest Probiotic. I definitely noticed a difference. My tank was in a sad state. In the last few weeks, corals are re-bounding, colors are popping, and the algae on my glass has gone down significantly. Also the salt mixes very very easily.

To be honest, I don't know if the change is coming from the salt, or better husbandry. The probiotic salt is a bit pricey. I did just order a 25kg box of their regular reef salt for $60. This will make 175 gallons. Now that I have been able to keep the nutrient levels down, I think making the switch to the regular salt make sense. I am also dosing 1 drop/25 gallons of probio S, and -NP Pro daily.

There has been a lot of hype behind the Aquaforest brand, but I have noticed a positive change since switching. Another pro is that it is very very very easy to mix. It takes about 15 minutes to mix.

I switched over to Red Sea coral pro for one bucket, it's almost gone now and will be going back to Reef Crystals. I dose 2 part and have my dosing pretty dialed in so there's no advantage to starting with high Ca/ Alk, besides i haven't noticed any other benefits so it's really not worth it in my opinion.

This is why I started using Red Sea as I dose on a regular basis and the red sea is close to what I keep my tank at I have no need to adjust it for water changes, if I used IO it would require additives before using it for changes.

Jim

Back