(Question of the Day?) Reef salt mix?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
What kind of reef salt are you using and what is your reasoning for your choice?

Tropic Marin pro reef, Didn’t have a reason other than it was there at the LFS when I got my first bucket of salt, began with bio actif and changed over to the pro reef instead due to its mixing parameters

Red Sea blue. Worked well for for my targeted parameters range. It does leave some crud in the mixing bin. Red Sea provides ICP results for each batch of salt mix.

1000011705.png

Instant Ocean purple, i just wipe clean the mixing container every few batches. Even IO is expensive now so I stock up whenever there is a sale. I have used Tropic Marin and Fritz in the past and although they don’t leave as much residuals in the mixing bucket I don’t see a difference in the tank to justify the price.

Many public aquariums and research institutions also use IO so that is telling.

Red Sea blue. Worked well for for my targeted parameters range. It does leave some crud in the mixing bin. Red Sea provides ICP results for each batch of salt mix.

View attachment 203096
I am about to switch to red sea blue bucket myself. used to use neomarine but Alk mixes up much lower than noted more like 6.5-6.8 dkh so I always have to dose up before water change. I used to use TMP for a long time until the damaged caused by the salt mix issues out of Turkey plant a bit ago.

Instant Ocean Reefcrystals. I have been using it for many years. Nothing special, just basic good salt mix that always available.
Instant Ocean is commonly used in coral farms, public aquariums, research facilities etc.
All salt mixes are based on a formula in public domain, that is why no one can have a patent on their salt mix.

To debunk several myths:
1. All salt mix are synthetic which means all chemicals are mixed together by machine, as you can’t redissolve dried ocean water.

2. The major component of a salt mix is sodium chloride, which is mined and purified by several major companies in the world and sold to salt mix manufacturers. The sources of sodium chloride are the ocean and salt mines, there is nothing “natural” or “unnatural” about sodium chloride.

3. The major cost of salt mix is production scales and shipping cost. An expensive salt mix does not mean higher quality.

Instant Ocean Reefcrystals. I have been using it for many years. Nothing special, just basic good salt mix that always available.
Instant Ocean is commonly used in coral farms, public aquariums, research facilities etc.
All salt mixes are based on a formula in public domain, that is why no one can have a patent on their salt mix.

To debunk several myths:
1. All salt mix are synthetic which means all chemicals are mixed together by machine, as you can’t redissolve dried ocean water.

2. The major component of a salt mix is sodium chloride, which is mined and purified by several major companies in the world and sold to salt mix manufacturers. The sources of sodium chloride are the ocean and salt mines, there is nothing “natural” or “unnatural” about sodium chloride.

3. The major cost of salt mix is production scales and shipping cost. An expensive salt mix does not mean higher quality.
IO & RC used to be a huge cost difference to other salt mixes which is why many reefers gravitated to it, but now all salts are closely priced very close which I feel more other salts are being used now. also high Mag. too.

Unless I’m mistaken, IO RC is still owned by Spectrum Brands and has been for over a decade. I used RC for years switched to Tropic Marin and got caught up in the Turkish facility heavy metal debacle. I’m back to RC. As Dong says, good basic salt and always available.

Red Sea blue bucket. I try to keep everything closer to natural levels
So when I say natural levels I mean I run my tank pretty close to sea levels of elements and “if” I do a water change I want to stay as close as possible to what my tank runs at.

I was with Red Sea blue bucket but can get reef crystals significantly cheaper so switched over and have seen no negatives in doing so.

IO regular. Because I don't like wasting money (so my mixing barrel won't develop a slight brown tint that doesn't hurt anything) :)

Slightly low Ca / alk is less disruptive to my system / parameters than elevated numbers (RC and many other more expensive salts).

That was one of the biggest bummers as I am getting back into the hobby after 3 or 4 years... wait... the salt got MORE expensive?!?

I used to use TM Reef Pro, likely still will. I wonder what the cost delta is to Reef Crystals for a 200lb supply.

Seems like bulk buying during sales is the only way to go no matter what.

Is the data anywhere on ICP tests of freshly made water for each of these salt mixes? That would be awesome!

TM Reef Pro 200g $110 free shipping

IO Reef Crystals 200g $68

Hoo that is quite a delta. That site is free shipping over $175. I feel like free shipping, or buying from a LFS is the way to go. Do any LFS that sponsor this site do bulk buys? I wonder if enough of us wanted RC or TM Reef PRo or some other salt, we could ask them to bring in like a pallet or two and save a bundle (and drive traffic through their doors).

Back