salt mix question

gurumasta

Senior Moron
i am almost out of salt mix and have ru-up and i am wondering if reef crystals really makes life easier or if ordinary IO is the way to go. if anybody prefers any other type of salt mix your opinion is appreciated also. thanks, derek

IO is the best for fish only, with a reef I prefer Tropic marin, and with the new TM pro I will never go back...have any of you ever tested your freshly mixed salt? TM has so much more calc, alk, and mag.

Granted its a butt load more than IO but IMO I think its worth it to not have to dose so much. I've never dosed mag. and its always good.

I'm curious what salt Greg (hiller) uses?
howabout accardi?

I know bec uses TM Reef Pro.
A lot of die hard oceanic users have switched to TM.
I've been using Oceanic for a long long time, and have thought about swapping over to TM Reef pro, but it seems like TM causes bad hemorrohoids for the wallet (painful every time you try to use it)

Ryan,
I find it funny to see you say that you have been using Oceanic for a "long" time. It hasn't even been available for that long.

My personal favorite is Tropic Marin, it is all that I have used for over 5 years. I use it on all of my tanks at home, ones I maintain, and it is all we use at the shop. I feel it mixes well and quickly. Has a higher quality content, that after mixing is closer to the standards I want in my tanks. Plus, since I am in tank water (my arms anyway) all day long TM irritates my skin the least out of all the salts I have dealt with. IO really does a number on my skin.

I've only been in the hobby a couple years now B ;) I bought some IO in the very beginning, but almost immediately switched to oceanic!

I found IO very itchy also.

Back