Scary overflow box want safety switch!

clutchgeargasgo

Non-member
I'm doing a little project tank that is a 29 bio cube with overflow box on back to a 14 bio cube I'm using as a sump/refugium, this is my first overflow box I've used. What I was wondering was if anyone has put a float switch to shut return pump off if the box gets clogged or losses syphon. If so how hard and what did you use? And I know there's a million ways on the Internet just looking on here to see if anyone has done it. Thanks!

I had an overflow box on my 90 and I used an aqualifter pump to create a syphon every time the pump had shut down . make sure all the air is out of the overflow tube and it should be fine

I didn't have an overflow box, but on my 120 I only had one drain and didn't like that. So I installed a float switch in the back corner, and in three years it goes used once. Once doesn't seem like a lot until you realize it worked just like it was designed. It was hooked up to my Apex and shut my top off and return down. No floods, and no mess. Just a lost Sea Cucumber that needed to go back into the DT.

GOOD LUCK

ATO sensor with the float reversed (so it turns off when the water level goes low insted of off when the water gets low) in the pump champer of the sump.

ATO sensor with the float reversed (so it turns off when the water level goes low insted of off when the water gets low) in the pump champer of the sump.

Hey John I heard of this but not so sure on the meaning of it? I have a ATO with both sensors in sump at different levels. One sensor will stay on until the next one does. That's when water is pumped in. Can u enlighten me on this?

Like dcforester1 I don't have an overflow box but i am using herbie style drain to my basement. I set up two floats in my display. One to send an alarm if the emergency drain is in use and one to shut off the return pump if the level in display is so high that it might overflow. Both connected to apex controller.

Ya I bought a float switch im going to wire to a relay to switch power on and off to a wall outlet plug and that will turn my return pump on and off with the water level in display

Back